W98 System Restore Script Project

Fredledingue

This program will only create a few files for testing the possibilities of a future system back up program for w98.

The program is already functional for backing up modified/added system files and track changes. Not to restore them but you can do that manualy if necessary.

For the moment you will be testing only the 1st step: saving files which has changed since the last restore point.

Please don't forget to run the test again one week later or after you installed or removed another program.

It's not dangerous and it will NOT modify your system. :angel :

Link: The W98 System Restore (or Back Up) Script Project

Edited by Fredledingue

Hey, Dr. Mac!

This project will be awesome for anyone without access to what we've got (and I sent you!), SecondChance.

Apart from play'n around and knowledge, no point to you and me mess'n around with this. SecondChance is like XP SystemRestore, except better.

Just piping in with a personal note to Dr. Mac here. In no way am I against this project. 98 users could sure use something like this. It's just that those with SecondChance already have it!

Yeah! Of course. I wasn't being at all critical, and it's entirely possible that your project will be the better choice. Certainly it will be available, unlike the discontinued commercial software.

I piped in because the fellow had just finished painstakingly finding files that had gotten deleted on his hard drive and got his system set up properly again with SecondChance installed. And it's his main system.

I wanted to suggest to him that maybe he wouldn't want to be experimenting too much now that his system is back up. Especially since he has something similar to what this project does.

Success! It'll help everyone to make 98 more recoverable from happenstances.

Thanks Eck! ;)

I think I'v tested Second chance then unistalled it because it was for only 15 days and also, if I remember correctly it created undeletable and unmodifiable folders on my HD. While it's a good idea to protect these folders against virus attacks, it doesn't fit with my total user-control phylosophy.

I don't think I will do something better. AFAICR, SC is not bad. I will only do something different.

I repeat that the current test is absolutely NOT dangerous whatever you do.

Even those who have Second Chance or whatever installed or who are afraid of something can test this pre-test-simualtion-release v0.0.0.0.1. It doesn't change your system.

What it does is only copying your system files in compressed archives.

There is nothing to be afraid of.

I just would like to know if it works on other computers.

Then only I will push ahead with the "recovery" part of the program.

Greetings Eck

Wondering where you've been since our last e-mails! ;)

What can I say ... Second Chance continues to work a treat. It also makes me more, er ... "foolhardy" so I take a lot more risks when visiting certain websites and downloading and trying out software.

If it doresn't work too good ... or if there are any "nasties" that come along with it ... well then ... SO WHAT!

Simply revert back to a previous restore point. :thumbup

I agree ... Second Chance is much MUCH better than the Win ME/XP system restore. After restoring, you can find lost files etc. It has an emergency boot floppy and you can also schedule multiple restore points with far more scope than you can do with the ME/XP one.

Well, I did actually download Fred's initial program and ran it (because I knew if anything happened, well ... I had a Second Chance!) I'm sure that in time this could develop into something very useful for those of us who love our Win98se and plan to stick with it for as long as we can.

Take care both of you and go well ...

Dr. Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried 7za.exe?

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#ZIP

Part of 7-zip [or can be downloaded as stand alone], can be used in batch files to automate (un)zipping tasks.

Can compress files in zip or 7z formats.

7z format has one of the smallest compression ratios.

There is also a DOS port that can be safely used in native DOS to keep LFNs:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/...ssion/7zipx.zip

Official p7zip port:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/.../pkgs/7zipx.zip

7za.exe command line switches:

7za <command> [<switches>...] <archive_name> [<file_names>...] [<@listfiles...>]

<Commands>

a: Add files to archive
d: Delete files from archive
e: Extract files from archive
l: List contents of archive
t: Test integrity of archive
u: Update files to archive
x: eXtract files with full pathname

<Switches>

-ai[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard}: Include archives
-ax[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard}: eXclude archives
-bd: Disable percentage indicator
-i[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard}: Include filenames
-m{Parameters}: set compression Method
-o{Directory}: set Output directory
-p{Password}: set Password
-r[-|0]: Recurse subdirectories
-sfx[{name}]: Create SFX archive
-si: read data from stdin
-so: write data to stdout
-t{Type}: Set type of archive
-v{Size}}[b|k|m|g]: Create volumes
-u[-][p#][q#][r#][x#][y#][z#][!newArchiveName]: Update options
-w[{path}]: assign Work directory. Empty path means a temporary directory
-x[r[-|0]]]{@listfile|!wildcard}: eXclude filenames
-y: assume Yes on all queries

HTH

Edited by MDGx

Fred,

I must be having a Sr. Moment because in all the hash, I've lost track of just what it is that you're trying to accomplish with your program? Is it to save a crashed HD?

Or just get past minor screw-ups?

Because, if I'm not wrong, a system restore only works when it's files are in-tact. When the only HD on the system squeels, grinds and smokes, all bets are off at using any restore info on that HD.

At that point, you need a complete backup Image of C:, stored OFF-System in a safe and recoverable format.

Is that the direction you're taking?

I had considered all sorts of ways to preserve a system in case of WWIII, but then decided it would not be time efficient to try to reinvent the wheel.

Some better programmers than me at "Ghostsoft, Inc." already provided the answer.

I've been using "Ghost" since I first discovered it in 1996.

I still use it (Ghost 2003) from a DOS boot disk to back up my entire system several times a week.

With a clean and neat C: partition on my SATA HD, the whole backup takes me only 5 minutes when the Image is saved to a second HD. Ghost will also burn its Image file directly to a bootable DVD, but that does take a little bit longer. ;)

So, maybe you could clarify a bit.....what is is that you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

B)