Dual Core -> Single Core = Reinstall OS?

RumaNoV

Hi,

I just placed my new x2 4800+ in my PC, replacing my 4000+. But i decided to buy another motherboard and to place my 4800+ on that motherboard, a pc dedicated to Folding@Home :)

Now my question, if i install my 4000+ in place of the x2 4800+, do i have to reinstall the os?

Tia!

There is an established procedure, documented in the resourc kit, on how to swap out th euniprocessor HAL for the SMP HAL.

Do this BEFORE you move the boot disk to the new machine. You will also want to pre-install all necessary drivers for the new mobo, chipset, video, sound, etc, etc.

There is an established procedure, documented in the resourc kit, on how to swap out th euniprocessor HAL for the SMP HAL.

Do this BEFORE you move the boot disk to the new machine. You will also want to pre-install all necessary drivers for the new mobo, chipset, video, sound, etc, etc.

The mobo stays the same, so i will only have to swap the HAL? Can you give me a link to that document because i have no idea what a resource kit is :)

• 2 months later...

If your OS does boot then windows will only be using the first core as it will not change hals. For best stability you should reinstall, however I recently changed a PIII to and Athlon 4800+ X2, without a single problem! Guess that was just luck!

Where in the world are you people pulling this misinformation from? That is all completely false.

Swapping a processor for a different processor does NOT require a re-install as long as the MOTHERBOARD does not change. The MOST that can happen is that Windows may require you to re-activate it.

That's it.

• 2 weeks later...

jcarle is correct.

An addendum to his information - if it does not swap to a SMP HAL, go here and swap it yourself by using the good ole change drivers dialogs. (left image)

smp-hal-switch-t.jpg dep-t.jpg

While you are at it, turn on DEP. (right image)

Edited by Jaqie Fox

Where in the world are you people pulling this misinformation from? That is all completely false.

Swapping a processor for a different processor does NOT require a re-install as long as the MOTHERBOARD does not change. The MOST that can happen is that Windows may require you to re-activate it.

That's it.

Totally right!

I've NEVER reinstalled windows when changing a Processor, only when changing a motherboard.