can't be bothered?

the_doc735

there are an awful lot of newbies (& others) on here who frequently say:

more detail

please elaborate

be more specific

etc etc

You see it's OK the experts saying that newbies can't be bothered and that newbies want the experts to do it all for them without any effort....

....but IMHO the experts can't be bothered to explain things sufficiently to the novice; an awful lot is assumed of the novice user who may infact need a full blown [detailed] walk through procedure rather than an 'off the cuff' one liner!

Those remarks leave newbies baffled to say the least.

I think I speak on behalf of many many people here?

THIS IS JUST AN OBSERVATION NOT AN ATTEMPTED INSULT ON ANYONE IN PARTICULAR. APOLOGIES TO ANYONE WHO FINDS OFFENCE AS I DON'T INTEND TO CREATE ANY WHAT-SO-EVER.

Sorry, but I like to keep free speech alive!

:P

"an eye for an eye and the whole world will be blind"

"if you seek truth, then best leave elegance to the tailor"

Edited by the_doc735

Lol,

I guess your right. But it isn't very easy to explain certain things. When I'm looking for a kind of problem I have to search an search and search. The puzzle starts to grow in my mind. Everything becomes clear to me.

When I need to pass it on to others than I can have multiple problems:

1) Don't have time to explain the whole problem coz its to big to explain

2) The problem is too complex, I would have to explain too much, or I would have too much work by simplifying the problem

3) The problem is clear in my mind but not in the mind of the other person. So I forget to mention steps, because I thing They are clear. But I fact my reader did miss some steps.

4) I want the other to look for himself. You learn much faster by searching yoursellf for sollutions. It gives even a good feeling when you find the answer to your problem.

5) ...

Voila that's it, but your right when you are new to certain things it is difficult. But I think this forum has allready a good start, when we talk about unattended stuff. The unattended guide, which is a good start

Greetz

Jonathan. ;)

I tend to determine a users knowledge depening on their question. If a newb asks a simple question, I give them a simple answer that a newb can understand. If a more advanced user askes a question, I realize this and ansewer in a more advanced maner.

The key is to get onto the persons wavelength and answer accordingly. Your right though, too many people over estimate a persons knowledge and give advanced solutions to simple problems.