XP only monitor driver?

krick

INI or SYS files are not realy "drivers". They are settings.

Is 1394BUS.SYS a setting file ? No it is a 32bit PE file just like most exes and dlls.

Is Usbport.sys a setting file ? No it is a 32bit PE file just like most exes and dlls.

etc...

Just go in your system32/drivers dir and you should find more than a few of those "settings" files.

Edited by eidenk

• 2 weeks later...

In some monitors, you really do need drivers, but not for the video. These are to talk to auxiliary interfaces, sometimes seen as serial or USB to help the monitor auto-adjust to system requirements. Since these are not analog video, they might need a driver in their own right, etc. Complete installation packages and system dependancies, the need for .SYS and .DLL and .EXE files, etc. could apply.

I think that EIZO/NANAO comes to mind as a vendor over the years where this could matter.

cjl

ps: Even UPS systems need drivers for the same sort of ancillary purposes [sometimes referred to as the "powerchute" sub-system?]

In some monitors, you really do need drivers, but not for the video. These are to talk to auxiliary interfaces, sometimes seen as serial or USB to help the monitor auto-adjust to system requirements. Since these are not analog video, they might need a driver in their own right, etc. Complete installation packages and system dependancies, the need for .SYS and .DLL and .EXE files, etc. could apply.

I think that EIZO/NANAO comes to mind as a vendor over the years where this could matter.

cjl

ps: Even UPS systems need drivers for the same sort of ancillary purposes [sometimes referred to as the "powerchute" sub-system?]

my point exactly, CLASYS. there are some PC monitors out there like the one Drugwash mentioned that require SYS, DLL, EXE or even DRV drivers. I guess bledd did not know about the Horizon 7002D monitor using a SYS driver.

Most of the monitor drivers I've seen are merely INF files [thank you LLXX], which only configure frequencies, color/temperature controls and other specific hardware specs [if any].

A standard VGA [VESA] monitor does not need a specific driver [DLL, DRV, SYS etc], unless that particular monitor is *not* standard.

Some monitors may connect [in rare cases] thru USB, FireWire [iEEE 1394], and [more frequently lately] thru the newer DVI [Digital Video Interface].

Most of the monitors connected thru standard VGA interface [15 pin DE-15 connector]:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

naturally have to abide by the VGA [VESA] industry standards, therefore the OS should [theoretically] have built-in standard drivers for them.

These are mostly CRT monitors [older].

If a monitor connects thru DVI, then the manufacturer should provide specific driver, because older OSes [like 98SE] do not have standard DVI monitor drivers built-in.

Same goes for USB or FireWire monitors, the manufacturer should provide the driver, because these interfaces are not designed to support monitors without dedicated hardware/drivers.

These are mostly LCD/plasma/DLP monitors [newer].

And this becomes even more complicated with the upcoming release of Vista, because the new HDMI [copy-protected high definition digital interface which combines HD video + surround audio into a single connector] must have manufacturer provided drivers, to comply with new M$ + MPAA specs for copy-protected digital content [like WM-HD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray etc].

So monitor drivers do more than just provide video:

- provide interface/connection between monitor and video controller

- provide specific hardware configuration

- provide video standards.

Also, please keep in mind that the video controller has to recognize the monitor, in order for both to work properly.

Therefore video card manufacturers have to build hardware recognition into their video drivers.

In conclusion, depending on what kind of monitor you're talking about, some should not need drivers, but others do.

FYI:

DVI = Digital Video Interactive (Intel):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface single digital audio and video connector (Hitachi/Matsus***a/Philips/Sony/RCA/Toshiba):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

VGA = Video Graphics Array standard (640x480 pixels):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA

VESA = Video Electronics Standards Association:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA

CRT = Cathode Ray Tube:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display (digital display):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD

DLP = Digital Light Processing technology, also DMD (Texas Instruments):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLP

DMD = Digital Micromirror Device, also DLP (Texas Instruments):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Micromirror_Device

HTH

Edited by MDGx

If a monitor connects thru DVI, then the manufacturer should provide specific driver, because older OSes [like 98SE] do not have standard DVI monitor drivers built-in.

Same goes for USB or FireWire monitors, the manufacturer should provide the driver, because these interfaces are not designed to support monitors without dedicated hardware/drivers.

And this becomes even more complicated with the upcoming release of Vista, because the new HDMI [copy-protected high definition digital interface which combines HD video + surround audio into a single connector] must have manufacturer provided drivers, to comply with new M$ + MPAA specs for copy-protected digital content [like WM-HD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray etc].

My new monitors are connected via DVI-D cables.

Since there's no driver, am I going to have problems playing DVDs under Windows 2000, or is this just a Vista thing?

So monitor drivers do more than just provide video:

- provide interface/connection between monitor and video controller

- provide specific hardware configuration

- provide video standards.

Also, please keep in mind that the video controller has to recognize the monitor, in order for both to work properly.

Therefore video card manufacturers have to build hardware recognition into their video drivers.

In conclusion, depending on what kind of monitor you're talking about, some should not need drivers, but others do.

thanks for the info MDGx, BUT even though some PC monitors do not need "special" drivers like the ones that come in SYS files, you'll still need to use the INF file provided by the monitor's maker if Win98se/WinME and their built-in monitor INF files can not identify the "hardware ID" of your PnP monitor [like in the case of the HP Pavilion MX50 monitor or the Dell M781P monitor I mentioned earlier].

here is the contents of the MX50.INF file of the HP Pavilion MX50 monitor INF file for Win2000 (this INF file will also work for Win95/98/ME):

=======================================

; Mx50.INF

;

;

; This is a Setup information file for monitors

; supported in the Windows 95/98 retail product.

;

; Copyright 2000 HEWLETT PACKARD

;

; Monitors supported by this file:

; 1282 = HP P1282A Pavilion MX50 Multimedia 15-inch Display

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

Class=Monitor

ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Provider=%HP%

Catalogfile=mx50.cat

DriverVer=12/05/2000,1.20

[ControlFlags]

ExcludeFromSelect.nt=Monitor\HWP0502

;Monitor class install (required for NT)

[ClassInstall32]

AddReg=ClassAddReg32

[ClassAddReg32]

HKR,,,,%MonitorClassName%

HKR,,Icon,,"-1"

HKR,,NoInstallClass,,1

[DestinationDirs]

DefaultDestDir=11

P1282A.CopyFiles=23

[sourceDisksNames]

1="HP Pavilion Monitor",,,

[sourceDisksFiles]

HPD04860.ICM=1

; Manufacturers

;-------------------------------------------------

[Manufacturer]

%HP%=HP

; Manufacturer sections

[HP]

; ID 2000 Monitors

;HP Pavilion 15-inch MX50 Multimedia Display:

%P1282A%=P1282A.Install, Monitor\HWP0502

; Install sections

; -------------- HP ------------------------------

[P1282A.Install]

;HP P1282A Pavilion MX50 Multimedia 15-inch Display

DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG

AddReg=P1282A.AddReg, 1024, DPMS

CopyFiles=P1282A.CopyFiles

; AddReg sections

[P1282A.AddReg]

;HP P1282A Pavilion MX50 Multimedia 15-inch Display

HKR,"MODES\1024,768",Mode1,,"30-54,47-100,+,+"

HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"HPD04860.ICM"

[P1282A.CopyFiles]

HPD04860.ICM

; Common AddReg/DelReg sections

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]

HKR,MODES

HKR,,MaxResolution

HKR,,DPMS

HKR,,ICMProfile

[1024]

HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1024,768"

[DPMS]

HKR,,DPMS,,1

; User visible strings

[strings]

MonitorClassName="Monitor"

HP="Hewlett Packard"

;ID 2000 Displays

P1282A="hp pavilion mx50"

=======================================

My new monitors are connected via DVI-D cables.

Since there's no driver, am I going to have problems playing DVDs under Windows 2000, or is this just a Vista thing?

what kind of monitors are u using, krick? specify name brand and model of the monitors.

Edited by erpdude8

I imagine that non-standard monitors also need a special graphic card or other video output device and therefore the drivers to make the whole thing work toghether.

Of course the manufacturers are very carefull to forbid installations of their new crivers on w98... but that's another story...

I imagine that non-standard monitors also need a special graphic card or other video output device and therefore the drivers to make the whole thing work toghether.

Of course the manufacturers are very carefull to forbid installations of their new crivers on w98... but that's another story...

You can't get any drivers for 98SE/ME for not even only the newest hardware which would still be understandable somehow, but also for the oldest ones on Creative Labs website.

Try tro find 98SE/ME drivers for Audigy, Audigy 2 or Live! on their site.

I have now begun to collect an archive for their 98SE/ME drivers from other sources. (Bidding for Audigy 2 cards on eBay ATM)

For Audigy 4 there is no drivers at all AFAIK.

I am not sure tweaking 2K/XP ones would do. Well I certainly would not know what to do if it was possible either.

Edited by eidenk

• 10 months later...
sad truth about the Acer AL1916 monitor is that it is XP compatible only. read here:

http://www.thealders.net/blogs/2005/12/08/hmmmm/

this kind of monitor hates any version of win98/me and some Diamond Stealth graphics cards so find another monitor (ViewSonic monitors are wonderful and their drivers are compatible with Win98 SE).

I take that back. the XP driver file AL1916W.INF may work under Win9x/2000 systems without modifying it. it's just that the INF file is only "signed" or WHQL logo'ed for XP.

Contents of the al1916w.inf file:

------

; AL1916W.INF

;

; This is Setup information file for monitors

;

; Copyright © 2005, Acer

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

Class=Monitor

ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Provider=%Acer%

CatalogFile=AL1916W.cat

DriverVer=08/08/2005,1.00

[ControlFlags]

ExcludeFromSelect.nt = Monitor\ACRAD52

;[ClassInstall32]

;AddReg=ClassAddReg32

;[ClassAddReg32]

;HKR,,,,%MonitorClassName%

;HKR,,Icon,,"-1"

;HKR,,NoInstallClass,,1

[DestinationDirs]

DefaultDestDir = 11

;

AL1916W.CopyFiles = 23

[sourceDisksNames]

1=%Disk1%,,,

[sourceDisksFiles]

AL1916W.icm=1

[Manufacturer]

%Acer%=Acer

[Acer]

%AL1916W%=AL1916W.Install, Monitor\ACRAD52

[AL1916W.Install]

DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG

AddReg=AL1916W.AddReg, 1440, DPMS

CopyFiles=AL1916W.CopyFiles

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]

HKR,MODES

HKR,,MaxResolution

HKR,,DPMS

HKR,,ICMProfile

[1280]

HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1440,900"

[DPMS]

HKR,,DPMS,,1

[AL1916W.AddReg]

HKR,"MODES\1440,900",Mode1,,"30.0-82.0,56.0-76.0,+,+"

HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"AL1916W.icm"

[AL1916W.CopyFiles]

AL1916W.icm

[strings]

;MonitorClassName="Monitor"

Acer="Acer"

Disk1="Acer LCD Utility Disk"

AL1916W="Acer AL1916W"

------

The Signature="$CHICAGO$" line means it can be used under any 32bit version of Windows, so it may be safe to use it on other Windows versions beside XP. See this Drivers DB site:

http://driversdb.com/device.php?id=41800

The OSes the INF driver support are Win95, 98, 2k, ME, XP & 2003.

Note that if you use an Nvidia Geforcefx5200+ graphics card with the Acer AL1916W monitor, do NOT set the screen resolution to 1440x900. your screen could look blurry with that configuration. many graphics cards do NOT support the 1440x900 screen resolution. see here:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Video-Card-Prob...200-acer-AL.htm

Edited by erpdude8

Note that if you use an Nvidia Geforcefx5200+ graphics card with the Acer AL1916W monitor, do NOT set the screen resolution to 1440x900. your screen could look blurry with that configuration. many graphics cards do NOT support the 1440x900 screen resolution. see here:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Video-Card-Prob...200-acer-AL.htm

Actually, he should use 1440x900 since this is the screen native resolution. On a LCD, all non-native resolution will indeed end with a blurry screen. Besides, only really old graphic cards don't support this resolution (the FX5600 does so why not the 5200?).

However, Nvidia 98 drivers don't propose this 1440x900 unless you add it manually (to the .inf and then reinstall / to the registry) or use custom drivers like 82.69...

For the rest, you're right, they just didn't wanna take 3 seconds to write that it's 9x compatible when it actually is...