How to make my computer faster

Nerwin

Your screenshot of the task manager does not reflect RAM and pagefile usage.

Windows Memory Management. I suggest you read it.

Also, just curious; but what is your technical expertise? Are you an "at home user" who tweaks, etc. Or do you actually work in the field of tech support, computer repair or a similar related service?

@Tarun

Not a single tweak or nlite removed section cause any problem in my xp system.

I am using nlite since 3 years, and the only problem that I had was with a pdf creation program who use a virtual printer. I had to fix it by starting the printer spool.

Do you use Microsoft Office? I remember a while back when I did use nLite that I would need to install Office Updates manually, since nLite broke the Office Update page. I don't know how or why, but it did. You might not have had problems with it, but others (including myself) have. Jeremy's been telling me that he's been having troubles installing Diskeeper on his girlfriend's computer, and my best guess is that it's something nLite related. I've never had a problem installing any software on a non-nLited/"tweaked" system, but on those that have been tinkered with, you need to find a workaround or a fix for it.
Dont tweak and you dont want to, but saying that removing services with nlite is :'(worst thing you can do to your OS)' is a terrible affirmation. Got tell that to Nuhi, I am sure he will loved to know that he is loosing his time with nlite.
There are other things that you can do to your system that are worse than nLite-ing, so I don't think Tarun or I have ever said what you seem to think we did. We're just suggesting that a complete OS is a happy OS.

I work in the it field.

And no, I use open office.

Software dependencies for nlite all well know.

One of nlite release codename was Jeremy.

This is because he is a extreme user, dont remove the components with warnings, unless you know what your doing.

If you work in the IT field, then you would know how critical services and a fully functional computer can be. Ripping out services and other needed dependencies as tweakers and nLiters often do, causes a mass amount of errors to accumulate in the Event Logs.

This is because he is a extreme user, dont remove the components with warnings, unless you know what your doing.

That still doesn't explain why he can't install Diskeeper on that one computer (which has been nLited). Even after running Dial-a-Fix to fix the Windows installer service, it doesn't work. How would you account for that? I'd point the finger at some component that was removed but is required.

What Tarun is pointing out is that you simply cannot know the long term usage of a particular computer by someone else, and by removing components of Windows, you might be preventing the user from doing something that they need to do. In that case, the only "fix" to the problem is to reinstall windows, which can be quite a hassle unless you maintain a "perfect" UACD (which most people don't). If you install Windows for someone other than yourself, removing stuff might cause them problems. You don't want to do that do them, do you? ;)

@Tarun

Not a single tweak or nlite removed section cause any problem in my xp system.

I am using nlite since 3 years, and the only problem that I had was with a pdf creation program who use a virtual printer. I had to fix it by starting the printer spool.

Do you use Microsoft Office? I remember a while back when I did use nLite that I would need to install Office Updates manually, since nLite broke the Office Update page. I don't know how or why, but it did. You might not have had problems with it, but others (including myself) have. Jeremy's been telling me that he's been having troubles installing Diskeeper on his girlfriend's computer, and my best guess is that it's something nLite related. I've never had a problem installing any software on a non-nLited/"tweaked" system, but on those that have been tinkered with, you need to find a workaround or a fix for it.
Dont tweak and you dont want to, but saying that removing services with nlite is :'(worst thing you can do to your OS)' is a terrible affirmation. Got tell that to Nuhi, I am sure he will loved to know that he is loosing his time with nlite.
There are other things that you can do to your system that are worse than nLite-ing, so I don't think Tarun or I have ever said what you seem to think we did. We're just suggesting that a complete OS is a happy OS.

There is a component (forget which one) but in nLite its description clearly states that it is needed for M$ Office Updates. Also, nLite is not the fault of Diskeeper failing to install on her PC because my PC is nLitened more than hers and DK works fine for me.

A happy OS is a fully customized/personalized OS that is trimmed to suit the user's need. :hello:

nLite can require a lot of trial and error. It was codenamed 'Jeremy' because I was very annoying to Nuhi and others back in those days. I made the most posts in the nLite forum so I guess Nuhi did that in attempt to shut me up. :P

I'm an extreme user? I remove what I don't need, and I just happen to be more familiar with the components than some people, so I know what I can and can't remove. For each component that is added, the first thing I look for afterwards is the description and how helpful it is. 5% of my total posts on MSFN are probably towards nLiters advising them to read descriptions. :P

If you install Windows for someone other than yourself, removing stuff might cause them problems. You don't want to do that do them, do you? ;)

Even for another user, you can remove some languages, drivers, hardware support, some really stone-aged components, junk Services...

Edited by Jeremy

There is a component (forget which one) but in nLite its description clearly states that it is needed for M$ Office Updates. Also, nLite is not the fault of Diskeeper failing to install on her PC because my PC is nLitened more than hers and DK works fine for me.

A happy OS is a fully customized/personalized OS that is trimmed to suit the user's need. :hello:

The addition of the description that it was required for Office Updates must have changed recently (or after I stopped using it :P), because every time that I used an nLited install, I'd have problems with Office Update. Good to know that it's been fixed though.

You say that your install is "more nlitened" than your girlfriend's computer, but you don't say exactly what has been removed from each. Maybe you remove more in total, but leave that one required part necessary for DK to install.

Even for another user, you can remove some languages, drivers, hardware support, some really stone-aged components, junk Services...

Languages - what if they need that? I know a lot of my friends who use eastern language support (they're chinese). Junk services - how do you know what services they'll need and they won't need?

The addition of the description that it was required for Office Updates must have changed recently (or after I stopped using it :P), because every time that I used an nLited install, I'd have problems with Office Update. Good to know that it's been fixed though.

You say that your install is "more nlitened" than your girlfriend's computer, but you don't say exactly what has been removed from each. Maybe you remove more in total, but leave that one required part necessary for DK to install.

Languages - what if they need that? I know a lot of my friends who use eastern language support (they're chinese). Junk services - how do you know what services they'll need and they won't need?

Not exactly. While she keeps Games and Printer Support, I do not. :P

Well, I made a survey some time ago for nLite. How do I know... well, I'd ask them. lol

The majority of people don't need the Croatian language or Duth keyboard layout, maybe not Fax Services or Error Reporting, or support for Bluetooth or Sony Joystick generic drivers...

I know it's different for each person, but that's why you go through it with them. People need to stop being so scared of nLite. It's not a monster. If you aren't sure of something, ask on the forum or if you're impatient, keep it. I know what I do and don't need, so I can remove things that others might be uncertain about.

Edited by Jeremy