How to make my computer faster

Nerwin

i suggest you use hardware profiles to increase speed if you have specialized tasks you want to complete. on my system i have 5 profiles setup

Workstation: w/o LAN

Workstation: w/ LAN

Game Mode: w/ LAN

Game Mode: w/o LAN

Emergency Hardware Only (like a custom "safe" mode)

thoughts from others?

Some services when set to manual will start when requested, other wont. SO you have to start them manually.

For example print spooler (needed for printing or virtualy printing like with some pdf apps) and cryptographic service (needed for windows update, installing wmp 10 and directx...), need to be started.

Not entirely true. I have disabled Crytographic Services before, and when playing HL2DM on Steam or even on LAN only, I checked the services and Crypto was Manual and Started.

I would start out by downgrading to an older version of iTunes... I've had 7.0 installed since it came out and have had nothing but problems with it... Memory leaks, screwed up sound, skipping, etc...

same

my friend and i had the exact same problem. we're both back on 6 now. plus 6 looked better imo.

Here are services i disable to create my Hardware Profiles when conducting certain tasks. I find this increases computer speed by a fair amount. You will noticed a performance increase ComputerMan if you do such configurations. My Workstation: w/ LAN profile allows me to use every feature i feel the average computer user would need. Any of the services disabled there should not effect "average" users.

***Workstation: w/ LAN - (The following services are disabled for this profile)

Alerter (SP2 Default = Disabled)

Automatic Updates

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

ClipBook (SP2 Default = Disabled)

Distributed Link Tracking Client

Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Error Reporting Service

Fast User Switching Compatibility

Help and Support

Human Interface Device Access

Indexing Service

IPSEC Services

Messenger (SP2 Default = Disabled)

Net Logon

NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Network DDE (SP2 Default = Disabled)

Network DDE DSDM (SP2 Default = Disabled)

Network Location Awareness

Network Provisioning Service

NT LM Security Support Provider

Performance Logs and Alerts

Portable Media Serial Number Service

Protected Storage

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Registry - Not in XP HOME.

Routing and Remote Access (SP2 Default = Disabled)

Secondary Logo

Security Accounts Manager

Security Center

Smart Card

SSDP Discovery Service

System Event Notification

System Restore Service

Telnet (SP2 Default = Disabled) Not in XP HOME

Terminal Services

Uninterruptible Power Supply

WebClient

Windows Time

Wireless Zero Configuration

WMI Performance Adapter

***Workstation: w/o LAN - (The following are disabled in addition to those disabled in "Workstation: w/ LAN")

Computer Browser

Network Connections

Server

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Workstation

***Game Mode: w/ LAN - The following are disabled in addition to those disabled in "Workstation: w/ LAN")

Cryptographic Services

COM+ Event System

DNS Client

Logical Disk Manager

Print Spooler

Shell Hardware Detection

Task Scheduler

Themes

***Game Mode: w/o LAN - The following are disabled in addition to those disabled in "Game Mode: w/ LAN")

Computer Browser

Network Connections

Server

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Workstation

@cumminbk

I think you did a great job !

It will great for people with doubt about tweaking

@Computerman

In my experience windows services pack 2 does make my computer a little slower.

I dont use it.

Edited by albator

It sounds like "Services" are a big part of computer performance.

I herd that Windows XP SP2 make windows slower, is this true?

Not true at all, there are numerous patches and various improvements in SP2 that really improves the speed and performance of the OS.

There's an amazing amount of stability and control in Windows XP SP2. The only blue screens I see are the SysInternals screensaver I have. :P

A lot of people talk about disabling services (bad) or removing them with nLite (worst thing you can do to your OS). You should not mess with your services, ever. Leave them at the defaults. People whine about how they have all these services running, but when they're idle they take up no RAM or CPU. I'd love to quote the MSDN article, but I can't find it at the moment. The basic summary is that disabling a service that wasn't doing anything frees absolutely no resources.

You should never disable the error reporting service. Error reporting allows the end-user to obtain information after "serious error" crash dumps (STOP errors/BSoDs). It also provides the user with feedback if an issue has already been resolved. Example: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894391

I had submitted an error report about this crash one day, and got no response back. The problem kept happening, and on multiple computers, so a few days later, I submitted it again, but this time, error reporting took me to a page stating that the cause was unknown but it research was in progress. Four days later, I submitted it again, and it took me to a page with the patch and the error never happened again.

There is going to be a program soon for techs to use that will reset the services to their proper values. It's a pain to have a customer complain about something they broke. Example: SSL and Windows Updates. These are dependent on the Automatic Updates (WUAUServ), Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), and Cryptographic Service (CryptSVC) along with numerous DLL files.

Leave your services alone. People often blame the OS for breaking when a program doesn't work. But that's because of "tweakers" who disable needed services or remove them with nLite.

Don't tweak, don't use nLite and don't remove or disable your services. Your computer will be in a lot better shape and your bill for tech support/repairs will be considerably less!

@Tarun

The discussion was about tweaking, so what's your point ?

And, we all know that tweaking is not for newbie who need help of advanced user to fix their pc.

I think his point (and mine) is that many "tweaks" actually hurt performance more than they help. In many cases, using nLite to remove components breaks dependencies that you might not see until the future. Applying this tweak and that one might cause things to run slower than they should (the whole prefetch "tweak" for example).

In the end, many tweaks might just cause more headaches than they're worth, since they might even end you up with a computer that won't boot.

@Tarun

Not a single tweak or nlite removed section cause any problem in my xp system.

I am using nlite since 3 years, and the only problem that I had was with a pdf creation program who use a virtual printer. I had to fix it by starting the printer spool.

Sayinh that services take no ram or cpu is not true, did you look at my screenshot ?

Dont tweak and you dont want to, but saying that removing services with nlite is :'(worst thing you can do to your OS)' is a terrible affirmation. Got tell that to Nuhi, I am sure he will loved to know that he is loosing his time with nlite.

Edited by albator