What gives the XP CD it's CD KEY indentity

poeee

I have installed a new motherboard into an IBM machine. I need to find out how to use the XP liscence to install a fresh copy, rather than attempting to run the recovery stuff that IBM have put on the drive. Of course, manufacturers that supply PC's like this don't give you an original XP cd.

What i've done to try it is this...

I found a setupp.ini on the hard drive, so I changed the setupp.ini file in a different XP Pro cd to the same as the one I found on the hard drive. I gave that a go in vmware with the cd key on the side of the PC, but had no luck with that CD key. Is the setupp.ini file the one that it checks for the cd key?

I then pulled the cd key off the hard drive (refer to the other thread). It was different to the sticker on the side of the PC. Tried it again in vmware. Still no luck.

What else can I try? And also, is this "legal" in the eyes of microsoft? I'm not pirating the OS, i'm just attempting to reinstall using the liscence that the PC already has.

Edited by poeee

The recovery CD from IBM has a version of windows on it already set up for the IBM motherboard.

Trying to install it to a system with a different mobo, won't work and violates all of Microsofts licensing rules.

There is NO CD key on the XP CD's. It's only on the sticker that comes with the CD or on the side of the case when XP is factory installed.

OEM, Retail, Upgrade, etc., CD's are mass produced and NO key is ever recorded on the CD.

In setup.exe there is a routine that looks to see if you are using a key that is compatible with that version of windows on the CD. If not, it won't allow XP to load.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43