DELL factory CDs

Here is the situation. The organization I work with has around 100 computers. Our computers come with DELL windows XP CDs. I want to make 1 CD for unintended installs, so when these machines need reformatting, I just pop the CD in and that's it. Some CDs use different CD keys. I have created a pretty good unattended install with a CD key that works using one of the DELL cds as the source. I have some questions.

1) Will there be a problem in any way using the same key on a bunch of machines? If the machine came with XP, I don't see a problem legally with having XP on the machine now, it's just going to have maybe a different CD key. There isn't going to be some big "red flag" going off at Microsoft is there? Will it cause problems with updating or anything?

2) I think I may have the answer, but how do you get past having to activate windows after the install? I have located the WPA.DBL file mentioned here: "Once your system is activated, navigate to your system32 directory within your Windows directory, and locate the file WPA.DBL. This is your activation file.

Once you have located the WPA.DBL file, copy it to $OEM$\$$\system32 in your Windows Setup Source. That's it, you're done." But this path, "$OEM$\$$\system32," does not exist in my setup source. "System32," however is here: "\I386\SYSTEM32," and the "$OEM$" directory has no subdirectory. So, where does the WPA.DBL file go?

Glad I found this site, thanks in advance for your input.

Troy

As long as the computers all have the same version provided from dell (ex: home or pro) with the dell logo on the product key, there is no difference between the cd's. As a matter of fact, do a search on the internet for product key viewers and check the systems (hint: they are already ALL going to be loaded with the same keys). so there should be no issues there.

second, you are close with the WPA file... but the only way to transfer pre-activation is from the OEMBIOS files. you can do a windows search for OEMBIOS and backup those files... but usually those are included on the system install CD's that dell provides, so if you use that as your source media then you shouldn't have to worry about pre-activation.

Edited by discountpc

As long as the computers all have the same version provided from dell (ex: home or pro) with the dell logo on the product key, there is no difference between the cd's. As a matter of fact, do a search on the internet for product key viewers and check the systems (hint: they are already ALL going to be loaded with the same keys). so there should be no issues there.

That's pretty much it, providing that the machines have the original installation on them. If they have been cleaned up by re-formating and have been activated using their sticker key, it won't work.

Thonaker, find a machine that retains the original installation, or if you have recovery disks use them to restore it. After that you can use one of the programs that report the product key to get the factory key. It's all downhill from there. Factory keys generally work on all/most models of the same manufacturer and require no activation.

I envy you, 100 units from the same manufacturer... Wish I were so lucky!

My whole network runs on Dell's, so I've been down this path already.

In regards to the WPA, you can just pull four files of the Dell CD and use the corresponding CDKEY and make a new unattended install. This comes in handy when you want to do RIS or other installs that work better coming from a standard OEM copy. Dell modifies several files to add in RAID support, so certain tools and instructions may not work right from a Dell installation CD.

The four files are:

OEMBIOS.BI_

OEMBIOS.CA_

OEMBIOS.DA_

OEMBIOS.SI_

Copy those from the Dell CD's I386 folder and into the other install source's I386, overwriting any all files. I think the files somehow check the BIOS to make sure it's a Dell unit, and if it passes there is no Activation and the Genuine thing works fine. You need to use the CDKEY that they use on the Dell CD though, so don't forget to nab that from the slim winnt.sif file. This nice thing about this setup is if you use it on a non-Dell it will still install, and I think you can activate an OEM CDKEY by manually typing it in.

These files will only work on an OEM copy, no Retail or Corp. I could be wrong on that, but I don't think so. You might be able to make a retail copy work if you mess with the SETUPP.INI, but that's a different topic.

These files will only work on an OEM copy, no Retail or Corp. I could be wrong on that, but I don't think so.

Retail & Corp have their own sets of OEMBIOS files so modifying either with the files from a OEM CD will not do anything useful and may render the install non working.

Edited by severach