Whats a good FTP Server software

Nerwin

My usual/preferred servers aren't free, but I've also used FileZilla Server before. It's not bad for a free FTP server. It's hosted on sourceforge.

As far as installing, it's pretty simple/straightforward/intuitive, it has documentation, and I'm sure google can answer all your questions (or ask here or whatever). You can even get it bundled with other server "packages" (like XAMPP), which is quite easy to install too.

There are tons of other free ftp servers though (I've used a few more, but can't recall for sure how goor or bad they were, and they might have changed a lot since then, so won't comment on them). You can google (or even just search sourceforge) for more. No idea how good/stable/secure they are, what features are there or aren't, etc. Depending on what features you need (things like methods of authentication and such) you may prefer another one.

If you use Firefox like I do then look at the FireFTP extension. I have it added as an extension in Firefox and it looks really easy to use. I have only once used FTP and Filezilla did it's job on that occasion but I thought it would be nice to integrate in my browser such as this.

Everyone's got a different answer... :P

Yes, and half the time it's an incorrect one... Tons of people recommending FTP clients instead of FTP servers!

FlashFTP? (Perhaps you meant FlashFXP? - not that it's free), but in both cases, that's a CLIENT regardless!

FireFTP? That's a CLIENT too!

That leaves us so far with:

-FilleZilla Server (not bad, free and open source)

-Cerberus (which is very good, but only free for home use - NOT for commercial use)

-WinEggDrop TinyFTPD (VERY LOW in features/very basic, and it's a console app i.e. command line, which not many people like)

WinEggDrop TinyFTPD 1.4, it's just a single 14Kb file (portable, no installation required).

You wouldn't happen to have an MD5 of that .exe, would you?

I found a copy, but I don't trust where I found it from...

917d52668d08b8d305d40404698b6bd1 size 14032 bytes

TypSoft Ftp server is portable, free support resume and his only 1.5 meg installed. I prefer it over filezilla server. But both are great.

Quick 'n Easy FTP Server is also a good standalone freeware, but with no support for resume.