OEMScan - Automated Multi Manufacture Pre-Activation Utility

[uPDATE]

Well, I figured out that I didn't need to have the mass storage pack selected in the base program, just the textmode checkbox at the bottom. Now the drivers are slipstreamed into the i386 folder and there no more $OEM$ folder or Unattended section written into the winnt.sif. I didn't want them available as PnP drivers anyway, only for the textmode part.

So in theory I should have been able to go back to my old winnt.sif. Except that it still doesn't work. Now, the only difference from before is that the i386 folder isn't on the root of the cd, but nested in a folder:

Old way = X:\i386

New way = X:\HOME_OEM\i386

But I can't see how this would affect the code as the cdrom detection code seems solid. So why is it still not executing DetachedProgram at T39?

---------------------------

Hi everyone. I'm trying to build a multi-XP dvd that I can use for installing retail and oem versions of home, pro and mce. Before this, I used individual cds with oemscan integrated and they worked great. But I'm having trouble with this multi one. I'm integrating the mass storage driverpack using the driverpacks base program and I think this is what is messing things up. Basically, my old method of calling oemscan from winnt.sif isn't working anymore.

Here's my old, working winnt.sif:

[Data]
MSDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram=".\system32\cmd.exe"
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%IOEM) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J NirCmd.exe exec hide oemscan.cmd)))"

And this is what I have after the driverpacks have been integrated:

[Data]
UnattendedInstall=Yes
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
OemPnpDriversPath="D\D\M\3\1;D\D\M\3\1\O;;D\D\M\3\3;D\D\M\A\1;D\D\M\A\2;D\D\M\A\3;D\D\M\A\4;" (there's a lot more here but it's throwing the tables out of shape so I've trimmed it)
OemPreinstall=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I2EHO) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J NirCmd.exe exec hide oemscan.cmd)))"

[GUIRunOnce]
command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

And for completion, here's the oemscan.cmd file that is supposed to be called (only the path has been changed from OEM to 2EHO)

@ECHO OFF 
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\WIN51 set CDROM=%%i

%CDROM%\2EHO\OEMSCAN.EXE > "%SystemRoot%\Temp\oemscan.log"

exit

I've tidied up the new winnt.sif a little compared to how it looked after the driverpacks code was injected. Can anyone please explain why the code in GuiUnattended isn't being called anymore? Is it because of the new Unattended section? If so, is there any workaround? And finally, is the driverpacks finisher in GUIRunOnce needed at all for mass storage drivers?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Edited by Protocol7

• 2 weeks later...

This might be useful for Fujitsu Siemens hardware.

I was trying to pre-activate a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E Series.

The 10045CFA oembios file set (which is for "FUJITSU SIEMENS") did not work. I checked the DMI strings and this is what I got:

Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS

Motherboard: FUJITSU

Chassis: FUJITSU SIEMENS

I ran OEMSCAN but it reports it as a TOSHIBA for some reason. Needless to say the Toshiba oembios files didn't work either.

Finally I thought I'd try the D2D64C41 oembios file set (this is for "FUJITSU") and this worked! Not sure why the 10045CFA set didn't work. Maybe because it's an older laptop (PIII 700) it needed older files. Anyway, hopefully someone will find this useful.

[uPDATE]

Well, I figured out that I didn't need to have the mass storage pack selected in the base program, just the textmode checkbox at the bottom. Now the drivers are slipstreamed into the i386 folder and there no more $OEM$ folder or Unattended section written into the winnt.sif. I didn't want them available as PnP drivers anyway, only for the textmode part.

So in theory I should have been able to go back to my old winnt.sif. Except that it still doesn't work. Now, the only difference from before is that the i386 folder isn't on the root of the cd, but nested in a folder:

Old way = X:\i386

New way = X:\HOME_OEM\i386

But I can't see how this would affect the code as the cdrom detection code seems solid. So why is it still not executing DetachedProgram at T39?

---------------------------

Hi everyone. I'm trying to build a multi-XP dvd that I can use for installing retail and oem versions of home, pro and mce. Before this, I used individual cds with oemscan integrated and they worked great. But I'm having trouble with this multi one. I'm integrating the mass storage driverpack using the driverpacks base program and I think this is what is messing things up. Basically, my old method of calling oemscan from winnt.sif isn't working anymore.

Here's my old, working winnt.sif:

[Data]
MSDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%IOEM) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J NirCmd.exe exec hide oemscan.cmd)))"

And this is what I have after the driverpacks have been integrated:

[Data]
UnattendedInstall=Yes
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
OemPnpDriversPath="D\D\M\3\1;D\D\M\3\1\O;;D\D\M\3\3;D\D\M\A\1;D\D\M\A\2;D\D\M\A\3;D\D\M\A\4;" (there's a lot more here but it's throwing the tables out of shape so I've trimmed it)
OemPreinstall=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I2EHO) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J NirCmd.exe exec hide oemscan.cmd)))"

[GUIRunOnce]
command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

And for completion, here's the oemscan.cmd file that is supposed to be called (only the path has been changed from OEM to 2EHO)

@ECHO OFF 
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\WIN51 set CDROM=%%i

%CDROM%\2EHO\OEMSCAN.EXE > "%SystemRoot%\Temp\oemscan.log"

exit

I've tidied up the new winnt.sif a little compared to how it looked after the driverpacks code was injected. Can anyone please explain why the code in GuiUnattended isn't being called anymore? Is it because of the new Unattended section? If so, is there any workaround? And finally, is the driverpacks finisher in GUIRunOnce needed at all for mass storage drivers?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Hi Protocol, the code below works for me....give it a try

DetachedProgram = CMD.EXE
Arguments = "/Q /C FOR /F %? IN ('%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\MOUNTVOL.EXE^|FINDSTR :\') DO IF EXIST %?WIN51 START %?SETUP\HOME\$OEM$\OEMSCAN.EXE"

Thanks for the reply FreeStyler. I figured it out in the end. The code was actually fine. The problem was that I had the winnt.sif in the wrong folder.

Wrong:

X:\2eho

X:\home_oem\i386\winnt.sif

Right:

X:\2eho\winnt.sif

X:\home_oem\i386

That's what I get for not reading up more on multiboot basics ;)

The disc is working fine from the oemscan point of view. I just have trouble with the driverpacks.net mass storage pack because some controllers have the same hardware id for both raid and sata controllers and by default it seems to load the raid driver. Gave me trouble when I tried it out on a Asus A8V Deluxe board with the Promise 376 controller set as sata. But I think they might be making progress in this area.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I like the function of this tool, but it asks a lot of effort to make it work.

Is there no one who has a simple exe/zip that can be slipstreamed and just works with most of the oem bioses? (like the driverpacks etc...)

• 4 weeks later...
Is there no one who has a simple exe/zip that can be slipstreamed

Three problems!

1) We can't distribute keys no matter how common they might seem. This means any program requires some DIY.

2) There isn't a 1:1 correlation between OEMBIOS files and keys. Few companies got all 4 key types. Some companies were given their own OEMBIOS files but were sold keys already being used by other companies. Anyone wanting to write a program that covers all models will never obtain all the keys because they can't be publicly traded.

3) Some machines detect more than one OEMBIOS set. Which one should be used?

If you're playing fast and loose #2 and #3 can be solved by taking anything that works. #1 remains unsolvable.

got a question about oemscan,

Correct me if I am wrong, OEMscan matches the SLP identifier in the Bios to that in the ini file. If it matches then it copies the respective files over. Do i have to match the SLP indentifier word for word? Why is there a Gatewa & Gateway? If just ACER is used in the ini, then will oemscan match it to AcerSystem in the bios?

thanks.

Why is there a Gatewa & Gateway? If just ACER is used in the ini, then will oemscan match it to AcerSystem in the bios?

As Severach said in his answer, there are multply OEMBIOS sets for each OEM. Some are clearly newer than others as we've had problems with SP0 sets in SP2 installs. My guess is the Gateway sets were made at different times and for different systems.

On a slightly different topic. ;)

Has anyone had a play with Windows Home Server yet ?

Does it use this method to pre activate or the Vista method ?

Do i have to match the SLP indentifier word for word?

The better the match the more accurate it will be.

Why is there a Gatewa & Gateway?

There are 2 different Gateway sets. The downside to this configuration is that if a BIOS has the string "Gatewa" it will replace the file set but will not activate.

If just ACER is used in the ini, then will oemscan match it to AcerSystem in the bios?

Yes, but will also provide a false match for "Acer TravelMate".

Has anyone had a play with Windows Home Server yet ?

Does it use this method to pre activate or the Vista method ?

It seems to use the same method as 2003 but I don't have a SLP key yet to determine if the 2003 filesets are compatible with WHS.