OEMScan - Automated Multi Manufacture Pre-Activation Utility

• 2 weeks later...
The idea is IT guys & Repair Shops which handle multiple brands of computers don’t have to spend 6minutes on the phone to activate windows if they’re installing on a Royalty OEM’s system.

Each time you burn a key, your story needs to get better and better to get another activation code which harms the customer. Has Microsoft specifically said that the store CD and the key from the side of the case is an acceptable equivalent to the original license? I've heard that it's not, which would make the multi manufacturer CD the only way that is both legal and practical for a shop to install Windows on Royalty systems. Anyone who thinks that asking the customer for Restore CD's is practical is smokin stuff that only Bill G can afford.

I know you posted this a while ago, I just can't help laughing reading because the last couple of years for me was exactly as you tell it! :lol:

everytime a new story... :ph34r:

I'd just wish I knew about this workaround sooner!

hi! i use a Dell Inspiron 2200 running Windows XP Pro SP2 ... with it is an OEM XP Pro SP2 cd ... since it's warranty is for Depot only sending it back to the US for repair would disable me a lot & for quite some time ... would it be possible to use the cd for installation in a clone machine (self-assembled desktop) as pre-activated? can OEMScan help me with this? any support you could share would be greatly appreciated ... thanks in advance!

You can install your Dell CD on anything as long as you don't mind reformatting every 30 days and not getting any updates. Your license is only legal for use with a Dell motherboard. You might find that a replacement motherboard from eBay is more convenient and cheaper than the "free" one you'll get from Dell.

Read all referenced threads.

Can anyone tell me or pm me some guidelines to install a sony xp pro with slp and oemscan? Or Where can i obtain the sony xp oem slp keys (or vista, because i only have the home premium vista slp key which was preinstalled in mine)?

Please...

You've made a good choice to zap Vista and install XP and let others suffer with the total s***e that is Vista. You can go back to it any time in case it proves to be something other than total s***e forever, assuming your laptop isn't too crappy to ever run Vista well.

You should test your laptop with my OEMBIOS Program in Post #225 of this current thread before formatting to ensure that you can run a preactivated Windows. Rumor is that some manufacturers are hacking their BIOS strings to block their preactivated Windows XP. If you're installing XP just one time for one system you'll probably find Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation the easiest solution.

Some Sony keys can be Googled.

You've made a good choice to zap Vista and install XP and let others suffer with the total s***e that is Vista. You can go back to it any time in case it proves to be something other than total s***e forever, assuming your laptop isn't too crappy to ever run Vista well.

You should test your laptop with my OEMBIOS Program in Post #225 of this current thread before formatting to ensure that you can run a preactivated Windows. Rumor is that some manufacturers are hacking their BIOS strings to block their preactivated Windows XP. If you're installing XP just one time for one system you'll probably find Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation the easiest solution.

Some Sony keys can be Googled.

Running oembios it tells me that I can do it and i have the correct oembios files.

But I can't find the sony xp slp keys... neither the vista keys... I would like to get the xp profesional key or ultimate for install it when I want to finally install vista on my vaio laptop.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me or pm me some guidelines to install a sony xp pro with slp and oemscan? Or Where can i obtain the sony xp oem slp keys (or vista, because i only have the home premium vista slp key which was preinstalled in mine)?

Please...

If your PC came with Vista Home Premium then that is the only OS you are licenced to use. If you want to run XP Pro you will need to purchase a licence for it seperately.

• 1 month later...

Crafted up a few new utilities that can help to automate the whole oemscan procedure.

SetKey.exe

Setkey XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (optional: /debug)

SetOEM.exe

Utility that can be called from DetachedProgram @ T39 from within winnt.sif (runs hidden)

This utility is temporarily copied to /System32 but is automaticly being deleted after it has run (Just after setup DOS mode)

1. Open TXTSETUP.SIF which is located on your installation source in the /I386 Directory
  2. Find [sourceDisksFiles]
  3. below add:
    setoem.exe   = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

4. Copy SetOem.exe into your installation sources /I386 Directory
  5. Open or create winnt.sif which also should be in your installation sources /I386 Directory
  6. Find or Add [GuiUnattended]
  7. Right under that line type:
    DetachedProgram=".\system32\setoem.exe"

8. Copy SetKey.exe to the \$OEM$ directory on your installation source (OEMSCAN.EXE should be there as well)
  9. Modify OEMSCAN.INI to read something like: (replace bogus info with your own!)
    [BRANDNAME]
    PATH=".\BRANDNAME\"
    CMD="SetKey XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

Example winnt.sif

[UserData]
FullName="n/a"
OrgName="n/a"
ComputerName=*

[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MSDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"