OEMScan - Automated Multi Manufacture Pre-Activation Utility

I fixed my issue by taking the oem files off a Compaq nc6000 and using them instead of the ones available for download and running OEMScan again.

If they are any different then the ones available for download i would be glad to take them :)

So I've been using my OEMScan CD(s) on various customers computers at the PC shop that I work at. We tend to do alot of Operating System Installations to save time when a customer has sabotaged their Operating System beyond feasible repair. Anyway, I've recently encountered a dilemma that may or may not be related to the OEMScan CD.

We've recently had 3 PCs come back to the shop with an activation error. The error specifically is that "This copy of Windows must be activated before you can log on". However, when trying to activate, the OOBE window indicates "This copy of Windows is already activated". Thus, the customer is unable to do much of anything except bring the PC back to us. I've found a quick repair install fixes it, but my concern is that if all of the PCs I've performed installs on with the OemScan CD are going to have this problem, I'll be doing ALOT of repair installs. Of course, there is also the concern that the problem will continue to reoccur. Obviously, we don't want to have to do a repair install every 30 days (The three computers that have come back were fresh installs that had left our shop approximately 30 days ago). The problem isn't brand specific, the PCs that have come back were a Toshiba and a couple of Dells. Everything appeared to be in working order when we performed the installs and handed the PCs back to the customers.

Is this because of OEMScan? Or is this some sort of anomaly with the Windows activation process? What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Edited by Kilyin

So I've been using my OEMScan CD(s) on various customers computers at the PC shop that I work at. We tend to do alot of Operating System Installations to save time when a customer has sabotaged their Operating System beyond feasible repair. Anyway, I've recently encountered a dilemma that may or may not be related to the OEMScan CD.

We've recently had 3 PCs come back to the shop with an activation error. The error specifically is that "This copy of Windows must be activated before you can log on". However, when trying to activate, the OOBE window indicates "This copy of Windows is already activated". Thus, the customer is unable to do much of anything except bring the PC back to us. I've found a quick repair install fixes it, but my concern is that if all of the PCs I've performed installs on with the OemScan CD are going to have this problem, I'll be doing ALOT of repair installs. Of course, there is also the concern that the problem will continue to reoccur. Obviously, we don't want to have to do a repair install every 30 days (The three computers that have come back were fresh installs that had left our shop approximately 30 days ago). The problem isn't brand specific, the PCs that have come back were a Toshiba and a couple of Dells. Everything appeared to be in working order when we performed the installs and handed the PCs back to the customers.

Is this because of OEMScan? Or is this some sort of anomaly with the Windows activation process? What can I do to prevent this from happening?

I Dunno, maybe it just me...

but you could have checked the systems before you send them out, not ???

Just start the OS, if it isn't properly activated it will say within a few minutes

Edited by FreeStyler

ROFLMAO, FreeStyler you read my mind.

Sounds like you have a few issues.

1. Within minutes of starting the OS it will start to harass you to activate, you should have investigated the issue then, not when the customer brought it back. Use MGADIAG if you want to be sure the system activated correctly.

2. If a system fails activation with SLP it doesn’t say, “This copy of Windows is already activated” it tells you that you have a bogus key and to use the key off the side of your case. It sounds like someone tried to crack their copy of Windows XP and it didn’t work.

3. As far as OEM SLP Activation goes, some dell laptops only activate with 87870F5A (Dell Quanta) and make sure your using the latest Toshiba fileset (A16F9D62).

ROFLMAO, FreeStyler you read my mind.

Sounds like you have a few issues.

1. Within minutes of starting the OS it will start to harass you to activate, you should have investigated the issue then, not when the customer brought it back. Use MGADIAG if you want to be sure the system activated correctly.

2. If a system fails activation with SLP it doesn’t say, “This copy of Windows is already activated” it tells you that you have a bogus key and to use the key off the side of your case. It sounds like someone tried to crack their copy of Windows XP and it didn’t work.

3. As far as OEM SLP Activation goes, some dell laptops only activate with 87870F5A (Dell Quanta) and make sure your using the latest Toshiba fileset (A16F9D62).

Uh, I guess I didn't make it clear enough in my first post. The OS was activated during the installation with OEMScan. The OEMScan log indicated everything was a success. The Windows installations were verified as activated, I'm not that stupid, c'mon guys. It is after weeks of the customer using the PC that this has happened.

Edited by Kilyin

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

When running MGADIAG pay particular attention to "Validation Diagnostic." Blank means you are A-OK. A long hex code may not immediately cause the system to be non Genuine but it does indicate there is some problem. You may find that the failing systems show hex

MSOOBE can tell you that the local activation was successful but the system hasn't really passed until you do the online Genuine check. The online check usually happens during Windows Update but you can force it to happen here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

This installs Microsoft's WGA spyware tool so use XP-AntiSpy or other utility to remove it after the check is complete if you don't approve.

OEMScan won’t work on Windows Vista. It uses a different method for SLP OEM Activation. I probably won’t have a working version for 6+months due to the lack supported OEM systems for me to test on.

This is what I’ve gleamed from reading poorly translated Chinese pages. Please note there may be inaccuracies.

In order for Vista OEM SLP activation to work the bios must have an SLP 2.0 ACPI structure which contains a public key that is signed by Microsoft. That public key is then used to decrypt the tokens.dat file. Each OEM will have a different tokens.dat for each version of OEM Vista. You must use a Vista OEM SLP key and it “may” be tied into the tokens.dat file (ie: Dell CD Key may be required for Dell Systems). I don’t know how large the tokens.dat file or what it contains.

Edited by xehqter

Kilyin, did you integrate the WGA tool into the XP disc by any chance? I've just been trying out my multi-oem XP Home disc (with RyanVM's post-SP2 update pack and the WMP10, DX9 and WGA addons integrated) in Virtual PC (using FreeStyler's modified bios).

When I booted into the emulated XP and ran MGADiag I got "Validation Diagnostic: 16E0B333-138-80004005". From Googling this I found posts on the MS forums where people were having this error with fresh-out-of-the-box Dells. The fix was to delete the LegitCheckControl.dll file from Windows\System32 and reinstall the WGA tool. So I tried this and now the Validation Diagnostic is blank. Going by what severach said earlier this may have been the reason for the activation failing.

Edited by Protocol7

• 3 weeks later...

I've just downloaded v1.4.1 and noticed the Gateway/eMachines range changed from earlier versions. Which RANGE is the correct one? Specifically the latter one in question (F3310 or F3110) for the CRC A04597C6. And does it matter if it's not correct?

v1.3

[Gatewa]

RANGE="0xF32F0:20,0xF3310:20"

v1.4.1

[Gatewa]

RANGE="0x000F32F0:20, 0x000F3110:20"