OEMScan - Automated Multi Manufacture Pre-Activation Utility

What effect does the comma have in 'AMOI Electronics CO.,Ltd'? Is everything after the comma ignored since OEMBIOS.DAT is using a comma as a delimiter?

@FreeStyler

I just got the 678752DC set and expect to be posting it later today.

@Bezalel

'AMOI Electronics CO.,Ltd' requires the complete string. The comma doesn’t affect it.

@All

New official version, v1.4.0, I added Windows 2003 support. The same method should work with Vista, but that’s untested.

Edited by xehqter

[uPDATE 23-12]

Thanks to all the help I now have this disc working exactly how I want. Instead of posting another big long thread with code snippets, I'm just gonna edit this one showing the final code.

Thanks for all this help Bilou! (path issue fixed ->)I just tried it there but although oemscan was run I was asked for a product key. When I checked the oemscan.log is showed that the cmd file had been run. I think I might know why it didn't work (see setkey.cmd below) but here's everything I have so far:

WINNT.SIF:

[Data]
MSDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram=".\system32\cmd.exe"
;CD Based install
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%IOEM) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J NirCmd.exe exec hide oemscan.cmd)))"

Is the part with $winnt$.inf needed for this stage? (<- yes it is) Also I took the $ symbols out from either side of the OEM part as the folder is called OEM on the CD not $OEM$. The detection routine worked fine though as oemscan was ran from the CD :)

OEMSCAN.CMD

@ECHO OFF 
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\WIN51 set CDROM=%%i

%CDROM%\OEM\OEMSCAN.EXE > "%SystemRoot%\Temp\oemscan.log"

exit

OEMSCAN.INI

[Hewlett]
PATH=".\HPQ\"
CMD=".\HPQ\SETKEY.CMD"

SETKEY.CMD

@ECHO OFF 
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\WIN51 set CDROM=%%i

%CDROM%\OEM\NirCmd.exe inisetval %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF "UserData" "ProductKey" "~qXXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX~q"

exit

The only visible difference between this setup procedure and a regular Windows one is that even though I'm shown (and accept) the EULA in text mode setup, it's shown again in GUI mode setup (minor glitch really). And of course the product key dialog isn't shown if a supported royalty oem bios is detected :)

I am using this method for implementation into my CD. The one thing I'm not sure about is what code to use in the event that none of the OEM BIOS files are detected. How do I tell OEMScan to do nothing if the [sM] string is found and proceed as a normal install?

I am using this method for implementation into my CD. The one thing I'm not sure about is what code to use in the event that none of the OEM BIOS files are detected. How do I tell OEMScan to do nothing if the [sM] string is found and proceed as a normal install?

The [sM] section is only if you want OEMScan to do something (like prompting to change the CD Key) if no valid SLP Strings are found. If you don't want to do anything just don't include a [sM] section.

I wonder how these files are generated because of the number of inconsistencies between vendors. I also noticed line returns for the OEMBIOS section are CR-CR-LF instead of CR-LF while the HashTable section uses CR-LF.

I think the OEMBIOS section is hand written by the OEMs

(Hint: Toshiba)

and the HashTable is appended using a MS provided program.

Speaking of Vista support, have MS changed anything in SLP pre-activation for Vista? I read somewhere that oem-specific install discs will now only work on vendor-specific machines with Vista (so you won't be able to use a Dell oem disc on a non-Dell machine). But otherwise will it still be possible to install it fully preactivated?

@All

New official version, v1.4.0, I added Windows 2003 support. The same method should work with Vista, but that’s untested.

Seems to work pretty well, no more errors due to Windows Server 2003 \Device\PhysicalMemory permissions

On a fresh Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard installation "Windows File Protection" kicks in once when runing oemscan for the first time (just after replacing COA oemfiles with vendor specific server 2003 oembios files)

When clicking "Cancel" and keeping the new files after reboot all seems to be ok.

I could even run SFC /Scannow without the original files being restored, so that looks good as well

UPDATE: When running oemscan on a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with SP1 i didn't get the "Windows File Protection" dialog...(maybe something went bad the first time)

post-98256-1167771314_thumb.jpg

Edited by FreeStyler

I read somewhere that oem-specific install discs will now only work on vendor-specific machines with Vista (so you won't be able to use a Dell oem disc on a non-Dell machine).

This is always been the case, you can not use a DELL XP disc on a HP machine and still pre-activate succesfully, so nothing changes here for Vista

(that is, assuming u install it without using oemscan & the oembios files from www.oembios.net)

Edited by FreeStyler

This is always been the case, you can not use a DELL XP disc on a HP machine and still pre-activate succesfully, so nothing changes here for Vista

I should have been a bit clearer about that. From what I read, with Vista if you have a Dell disc you can't even install it on a non-Dell machine, nevermind install with pre-activation. Just wondering if Vista still uses the oembios SLP method and if it will work as it does with XP.

Edited by Protocol7

@All

Seems to work pretty well, no more errors due to Windows Server 2003 \Device\PhysicalMemory permissions

On a fresh Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard installation "Windows File Protection" kicks in once when runing oemscan for the first time (just after replacing COA oemfiles with vendor specific server 2003 oembios files)

When clicking "Cancel" and keeping the new files after reboot all seems to be ok.

I could even run SFC /Scannow without the original files being restored, so that looks good as well

UPDATE: When running oemscan on a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with SP1 i didn't get the "Windows File Protection" dialog...(maybe something went bad the first time)

I was worried the method I use to disable SFC in XP wouldn’t work in W2K3 however when I tested it with W2K3 R2 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (Volume) it passed with flying colors. The method I use disables SFC for exactly 1 minute on specific files. Is it possible more then 1 minute elapsed between copying over the files and importing the .CAT file?

Could you test it on more systems and get back to me if you run into SFC errors? Perhaps I should import the .CAT file first.

hi! i already read the answer to my question somewhere but i was not able to bookmark it ... i've been trying to search for it for almost half a day but just couldn't land on the correct thread ... :( i'd like to know which specific files are required for Dell OEM activation ... i think there might around 4 or 5 of those ... my apologies for asking ... any feedback would be greatly appreciated ... thanks!