Hi,

Really strange. :(

Will fix this weekend, hopefully...

For now this should be fine:

http://www.war59312.com/USP.php

Good Night,

Will

Will, I cannot download the August release USP 5.02.2195

This new link as well as the main link cuts of at 188 to 190 MB. :( Can this version, USP-5[2][1].02.2195.17-RETRO.ZIP, be posted on soft pedia, cnet, major geek or some other place? Unfortuantely, the security you have on your site prevents the ability to resume downloads after interuptions. This file is nowhere else on the web as far as I can tell. :}

Thank you for you help.

SirBrainChild

Edited by SirBrainChild

Uploaded to Rapidshare.de in 3 .RAR files with 3% of recovery record (may help if a download is corrupted):

USP-5.02.2195.17-RETRO.part1.rar 80.01 MB

MD5: 6FE7BE3A816E9E5B4C1B4E13B112EE5C

USP-5.02.2195.17-RETRO.part2.rar 80.01 MB

MD5: 32723182AF7AE9BC4708A54941145330

USP-5.02.2195.17-RETRO.part3.rar 74.48 MB

MD5: 9E88B8401AA7D1EDB7A60A3B1FC4BD88

(I tried downloading files from this location myself and there is no problem with their integrity.)

Download all three files and extract them with WinRar or other archiver supporting this format.

There are two additional files called CDCRC.EXE and DATA.CDCRC in the folder. (This is a freeware utility and you don't really need to run it if there is no errors during extraction of files. In fact it's a good practice not to run any unknown applictions ;) I provided it just for sure). You may run CDCRC.EXE and choose VERIFY option from the menu. It should report that there are no bad or missing files and then you can delete both if you want.

I will also post a link on the original USP-5.02.2195.17-RETRO.ZIP in eDonkey p2p net as soon as I got that computer running (sorry for the delay).

Edited by kitaec

Will, I cannot download the August release USP 5.02.2195

This new link as well as the main link cuts of at 188 to 190 MB. :( Can this version, USP-5[2][1].02.2195.17-RETRO.ZIP, be posted on soft pedia, cnet, major geek or some other place? Unfortuantely, the security you have on your site prevents the ability to resume downloads after interuptions. This file is nowhere else on the web as far as I can tell. :}

Thank you for you help.

SirBrainChild

Hey,

All right everyone this should work fine for everyone now:

Download USP-5.02.2195.17-RETRO.ZIP

The reason everything was setup the way it was is because of bandwidth issues. At one point this was eating over 250GB a day. But of course not nearly that much now since the project is pretty much done with. :( So that should no longer be an issue so I have removed some of the security for now. So yes you can now even resume downloads and use download managers. However I am now limiting the number of downloads per day just in case...

Well, sorry just don't have the time to upload the file to download sites like the ones above. But again if you PM me I will upload it to you directly.

BTW I tried getting it hosted on betanews.com but I can not. Sadly it seems only Gurgelmeyer can.

Take Care,

Will

Edited by war59312

Thank you everyone for helping me out with downloading usp 5.02; you have been most kind.

Hi,

For version info please see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58588

Yes it is a 5.0x release not a 5.1 release. That's why. It's just the latest release in the 5.0x series. The topic above clearly states what the difference is.

Any how yes it was released on August 11th, 2006. I have not personally had the time to test it. But I am sure your right in your statement about the august and sept. hotfixes only being needed. Perhaps someone could please confirm?

Take Care,

Will

Unfortunately, I disagree, but fortunately without certainly.

When I looked at the file dates in 5.02 retro slipstreamed install point today, I found dates only as recent as January 2006 where as 5.1 has dates recent as Apr, 16, 2006. Only one install config file was updated in June 2006 while the lastest date of other files span only to jan 2006. It appears he corrected 5.02, but not updated it. Furthermore, a few M$ March/April hotfixes file dates match dates of corresponding files in USP 5.1 but not 5.02 retro. I think gurgelmeyer may have not inlcuded new hotfixes because wanted to focus on 5.1, and wanted to increase the stability and reliability of USP 5.02. To double check, keep reading...

To anyone:

My computer is not connected to the internet (I am poor, incollege, and will sing :o for a quarter). Someone else please test my conclusion with these steps:

1) perform clean install windows 2000 pro with usp 5.02 retro.

2) connect to m$ windows update (wu)

3) note the kb number of the earliest, not latest, hotfix presented by wu other than the Update Rollup 1 (UR-1) ur-1 normally shows up even if it's installed.

5.) cross reference the kb number with this forum post http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58360.

6.) If it shows up and pertains to w2k itself, it is not in the service pack. Gurgel was meticulous and made sure wu correctly detected them (except UR-1 (kernel mode driver in) which shows up after hfslip too).

Change from original version of this post: Wul.exe, which is freeware from nirsoft.com does not detect hotfixes slipstreamed into USP 5.x but does detect hotfixes slipstreamed with hfslip. In other words, I think you should still use usb 5.x but use wu to check which patches are needed.

If Gurgelmeyer is not well, is he at least alive? He mentioned a heart condition. Even if this zombie (not alive or dead) project dies, it would be nice to know Gurgelmuyer didn't pass away or doesn't and eventually recovers. I want to be positive for now.

Dead project or not, all should keep your USP 5.Xs , because hfslip now supports integrating usp 5.02 and 5.1 as well as hotfixes into your installation point. HFslip is not quite as polished is some ways, but it works very well. It's also much less work to patch windows with usp5.02 or usp 5.1 rather than sp4.

Off the topic: NLite is also good after slipstreaming usp 5.1 or 5.02 because it allows you to disable kernel paging in w2k and winXP which is great if you have plently of ram. I hope my going slightly off topic is okay.

Thank you and take care,

SirBrainChild

Edited by SirBrainChild

Well, as it gets closer to thinking seriously about it I'll let everyone know where the project is going, if anywhere. At the moment it is pretty much dead.

Seems no one really knows about Gurgelmuyer. He could very well be dead for all I know. I doubt it though. People disapear from the net all the time. Hell he could be reading every message here. I hope he is so he knows he still has support for all his hard work and how much we all apericate him for it.

Well thanks for the above information, I just dont have the time to confirm. Sorry!

Edited by war59312

He asked me personally to release it. But he gave no information.

Full PM:

Hi

Could you please add a link to the USP 5.02.2195.17 for public dl. I'd appreciate it a lot. I won't advertise it right now, because not many ppl care about USP 5.0x - but I'm about to upload something which will be advertised in the near future.

Best regards

/G

So he was not even going to advertise this one, which he never did as you just pointed out. Instead it was going to be something else. What that something else is I am not 100% sure about; I bet an even newer release that a lot of people where hoping for.

So that is why I have not released any information on this; simply because I know nothing more than any of you guys atm.

Dear friends,

I hope that Gurgelmeyer will return one day and finish what he started so promisingly.

Regarding the issune about the old versions in 5.02 Retro, I may mention that Gurgelmeyer was always very conservative with USP 5.02 because he wated it to be stable for usage at server machines and thus he did not integrate the latest patches (they need some time to "mellow" :) ).

But let me ask a question, is this version really from August 2006? Because as far as I know I never read any announcement post by Gurgelmeyer that he replaced the previous version (named "Gurgelmeyer's own") with an updated one. Therefore he must have worked on it even though he could not write to the forum.

Some 5.02.2195.17 Retro information:

1.) Contains hofixes thru Jan 27, 2006

2.) Last Revision: June 02, 2006

3.) Contains 48-bit LBA translation intext-mode setup and in normal operation (confirmed by look at setupreg.hiv and by looking in the registry after install; I only have an 80 GB drive to test it on.).

Appearantly, build 17 was made to give USP 5.02 more reliability and to add 48-bit LBA translation (support for hard drives over 137 GB).

This post has been edited and simplied from it's previous verson.

----------------------------------------------------------------

P. S. Up 5.02 Retro is useful in places where usp 5.1 is not. Always keep it even if Gurglemeyer doesn't return so you can just download post Jan 2006 hotfixes.

Edited by SirBrainChild

• 2 weeks later...

I updated information on my previous post about a few usp 5.02 Retro facts.

My Future USP's and Update Rolloup recommendations:

I recommend that both the 5.02 and the 5.1 usp's be continued through update rollup packages. No need to create full 200+ MB service packs, except maybe once per year. I believe that these update rollups should not have integration ability unlike Microsoft's rollups.

In the future, 5.1 should omit Windows Media player 9 but include:

1.) The WP9 codecs (Windows Media Format codec redistribution or wmfredist.exe) so that windows media player 2 can play more recent media.

2.) DX9 should be inluded in my opinion, but all the joy stick images should be ommitted to avoid excessive bloat. (Use hfslip's method as a reference on how to do this).

3.) Most users can beneifit from the inclusion of .Net 1.1 and 2.0 runtimes, but on another hand we can download and install these seperately. This would also be just another thing to patch and would increase the usp download size considerably. After all we still have a streamline usp 5.02. Is this worth it for the majority of W2K users? What do you all thing of adding .net runtimes to 5.1.

Is there anyone out there who still plans to create a sequal to usp 5.1?

Please do NOT add anything to USP 5.02, it's small; it's streamline, and serves a purpose if only security and critical updates are added. In fact I'd be very happy if no rereleases of 5.02 are created; I trust Gurglemeyer's last release. We just need regularly a released rollup package, and slip-streaming ability would be a plus. If Gurglemeyer is still alive, then only he needs to update it. I tend to favor a conservative, approach, becaue I enjoy stability and reliability and some production/professional situations require it.

Also, we also do not want too many usp's floating around to confuse people. A new USP every year (multiple builds are fine of course) might be appropriate for the next and last three years of Windows 2000.

Edited by SirBrainChild

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, you are absolutely right.

Keeping USP 5.02 as it is is most valuable, I absolutely trust Gurgelmeyer about 5.02. B18's integrity. It isn't that he just collected the files, he fixed lots of registry errors (look in the very long thread were he reported his work from beginning of 2005 on) and other complications like the file-signing issue. Anyone who is not common with Gurgel's way of working would destroy this when trying to create an updated USP 5.02. Instead it would be useful to have the newer security fixes put up to a rollup package.

Please, ONLY Update Rollups for 5.02 B18 from now on (unless Gurgle comes back).

It would best if the update rollup package for 5.02 not have slipstreaming ability, because technically this would require it to be a service pack with just fewer files included. I say this because service packs and hf integration replaces the setup.hiv registry hive and inf files that contain registry entries and ontrol how w2k installs. Changing these can introduce bugs (gurgle found bugs that not even microsoft bothered to correct in sp4). Gurglemeyer once said that if he ever created an update rollup, the integration ability would be removed (probably because of this very reason). Creating a new service pack will create confusion and create too many platforms for future updates.

I can provide updated setup boot disks for 5.02 B18 is anyone wants them.

Edited by SirBrainChild