net use mechanism

chaz2bo

I'm planning an OS migration to server 2003r2. While we are moving workstations over to 2003r2 would it be crazy to just have the users out there map drives to the 2003 servers using the "net use" command? Because of the logistics and number of users, I need an intermediate step before joining their workstations to the domain.

Any help is appreciated - thanks

The easiest way to do that would be to create a vb or batch script that does that for the user and distribute it among the users.

After they are joined the login scripts etc. can cover this but untill that is done it could be doable to provide your users with a 'one click sollution' .

Distributing the script/batch would be tricky though, if the users can access mail you can send a mail to all users with the script attached and noted on how to use it.

I have to agree with Zartach. IT staff or programmers could easily map their own drives as necessary, that's required basic knowledge for the job, but end users? Very, very bad idea. Asking them to type "cryptic" commands they don't understand at a command line is not gonna fly. They'll be scared to do it, they'll get stressed out and annoyed about it (if not just plain angry). Batch files or scripts is definitely the way to go.

Deploying can be a PITA indeed. But you could gradually move their workstations to the new domain (or that's what we did at least)... We did a transition to win2003 not long ago, and everthing went just fine (it was quite well planned I must admit). Nobody had to map their own drives or anything like that.

Thanks. Distributing the script will be my major challenge. BTW do you know if "net use" uses kerberos?

It depends on how your network is configured, in a native 2000/2003 environment all authentication traffic uses Kerberos by default, but in mixed mode the NT4 Domain controllers can be used and they use the NTLM method to authenticate users.

If your clients are all running XP there wont be any problems as it can handle both and will negotiate the protocol to be used.

If you use NT4 clients and want them to be able to use Active Directory you need to install the Actrive Directory Client available here : http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/dow...er/adclient.asp

Edited by Zartach