Network Asset Audit

rstainforth

Howdy y'all,

I have been given the melodorous task of beginning an audit of our companies LAN hardware and Software licenses. This has not really been kept on top of before I started here, so I'm really starting from scratch. Does anybody know of any free, decent software utilities I can use to help with this? I've seen a few bits that purport to check and return license details from client machines, but I don't think the boss will be putting his hand in his pocket when he could be having me run around and check gratis lol

We used and purchased this software and it works well. It is how we track all of ours.. They have a non crippled version for 30 days you could use to track all that you need and just report off of it... then just track it from there.. We dumped it all into an excel spreadsheet and tracked it from there until we actually ended up buying the software..

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products...management.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just found this thread, if you're still looking for an asset discovery agent that's TOTALLY free, not just a time limited demo you may want to check this out:

http://www.lansweeper.com/

I was looking at it for an asset management task I need to do but I'm using Microsoft SMS instead now.

From the short time I looked at it, it was very good, and best of allm no client to install. Just setup the server side, drop a line in the logon script and away it goes. Once all your clients have logged onto the network at least once you should have all the details you'll ever need and be able to produce nice pretty reports to keep them above happy :thumbup

Regards,

Steve B

-----------------------------------------------------------

Somebody once told me... Guesswork is all I know