Ex/Current Sygate Users

Maleko

This is ust to ask if people are still using the last release Sygate made b4 they were aquired by Symantec.

Reasong being, this version is a bit old now, and was wondering if people are sticking with Sygare Personal Firewall, or switchin/have switched.

Im thinking of switchong to Outpost, simple because Sygate is old (ish) software.

Thoughts?

I used Outpost for a while - if you're overly paranoid about security - then it's good. I started having troubles with my university's network though - I wasn't able to resolve an IP, it would kick me from the VPN servers, from the WPA-RADIUS servers, etc etc etc.

I think it's fine for a desktop system that doesn't change IP's much. For laptops on various networks, it might be a bit problematic.

yet another construtive post..

Yeah, I suppose i should go ahead and test another bloody firewall program in VMware before my posts meet your satisfaction. Noted.

Oh, and I'll just go ahead and be judgemental in saying that it seems it focuses on the GUI. :P

Edited by Jeremy

If you're behind a NAT router, a firewall is quite unnecessary.

Untrue. Steve Gibson (Windows Security Guru/Expert, Homepage) recommends both hardware and software firewall. This is because most routers can only block incoming Internet debris from reaching your PC, but do not monitor outgoing. Anything you download from a p2p or a website could potentially contain a virus or worm which may try to connect outward, which only a software firewall could block.

Steve Gibson certainly has a reputation as a troll and self-promoter...but that really doesn't apply here. Much of his advice is sound and he does have a job writing for the industry. That makes him citable.

Let's NOT start a Steve Gibson argument.