Interesting E-Mail

From: "Microsoft" <security@microsoft.com> | This is not spam | Add to Address Book

To: nelson8403@yahoo.com

Subject: Use this patch immediately !

Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now!

There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!

More than 500.000 already infected!

this also came with an attachment, of a patch.exe, it contains a virus, i don't know how to do it on yahoo, but is there anyway to get the full address, like any forwardings or such, where you can use an anoymous(sp) e-mailer, i'm assuming they used it because of the @microsoft.com, and the bad spelling was really the first thing that set me off, anybody know how? thanx

That wont help you. The MSBlast worm spoofs the e-mail address. I get about 100 a day saying I sent them out and they are bouncing back to me and it wasn't me sending them.

You will never be able to find the real source with this virus going around. Just ignore it and delete anything with attachments.

Just remember, its Microsoft's policy never to send patches as an email attachment. This is a security precaution and only asks the user to download the patch from the relevant TechNet or download site on Microsoft's domain.

• 3 weeks later...

There are lots of tricks with email servers/programs that can spoof the 'from' header (sender's email address). Don't take it as gospel.

I once had an email to me that had no 'from' header, no 'date', just a 'to' header (my email address)!!