Houston, we have lift-off of Vista Ultimate Edition........

kartel

I am on Windows Vista after alot of monkeying around, I have it up and running.

I am using XP drivers for my soundcard I used the "Live! 5.1 Dell" driver pack and extracted the driver file and used device manager to update the driver, I tried microsofts update after but ditched it cause the first one I can use my microphone and MS's was not functional on record.

I am very proud to be using the latest OS and it actually works .

Thanks to MSFN for all the links and tools.

I found this to be the best way to make the disk, only use XP cause 98 wont cut the cake on this puppy.

CRC or MD5 sums verifier to check the official filesizes with your downloaded iso sizes.

Ahead Nero has one : http://www.nero.com/us/Nero_MD5_Verifier.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ImgBurn (free and with version 2.0.0.0 100% Vista-compatible - install as Admin)

can also be used to check the filesizes before you are going to burn the media to a physical Disk:

Burn at 2x & verify

newqv7.gif

Edited by kartel

He,he, I made my Vista RC1 DVD with DeepBurnerPRO on Windows 98SE and it worked perfectly.

Interesting that Microsoft Windows is the third entry in the Vista boot loader, but clicking on it just gives an error message that the OS files couldn't be located. I must choose the Earlier Version of Windows selection, which brings up the XP boot loader where I then choose Microsoft Windows to boot up 98SE.

This, with 98SE and XP on my SATA hard drive and Vista on a regular IDE hard drive by itself. 98SE and XP were installed first, then I added the IDE drive and had XP disc management partition and format it but did not let it give it a drive letter. I think this saves Vista's restore points from being deleted by XP when XP is booted up.

I can access all 3 partitions from Vista, 98SE and XP from XP, and only 98SE from 98SE.

Been having all kinds of fun the last few days doing all this!

I tried Vista for a few days back when it was still in the 52xx builds, didn't like it too much.

Ended up reformatted and reinstalling the XP that was orginally on the drive.

Have the newer Vista builds generally improved performance, or is it still quite slow?

I tried Vista for a few days back when it was still in the 52xx builds, didn't like it too much.

Ended up reformatted and reinstalling the XP that was orginally on the drive.

Have the newer Vista builds generally improved performance, or is it still quite slow?

preformance has improved greatly since the 52xx builds, you would be fairly suprised with the gains you would see now i would think, depend on your system though

Programs seem to run fine, but I don't think the performance can compete with XP.

I think this might be due to the GoBack style logging of every single change to the files that SystemRestore can recover with the right click, file versions utility.

XP's SystemRestore doesn't have this, so there's no GoBack style chugga, chugga of the hard drive going on.

Vista has a slow bootup (unless you use standby, which I turn off), and moving files around or creating restore points always creates a wait time while I wait for the hard drive to "shut up."

The very reason I stopped using GoBack long ago, and now Microsoft in their wisdom has built that crap into the operating system with no off switch that I can see. Sure, you can disable SystemRestore (which I'd rather not do) but that right click file recovery never shuts off. So it will always log every change.

I was very surprised with RC1, i have a 5 year old box

Dell Dimension 4100

Pentium 3 1.0 GHz

512 MB RAM

40 gig drive

it ran very well for that config imo

tonight im gonna have to try and get it to install on my laptop

p3m 1.2 ghz

640 mb ram

30 gig drive

no DVD drive in it tho so im gonna have to open up the image and extract them to a separate partition and install from the hard drive...

anyone know if theres any issues with ghost yet?

I got a 9800pro and it has flickering pixels and color shifts even when I'm in my bios, so I got a 9600 for now, thinking I can get new HW now I'm logo'd. :rolleyes:

vistascreen028nr8.gif

Anyone got 6 6 6 in the score ? lol

Edited by kartel