shutdown problem

amdmstf

i have gigabyte and iintel 3.0 GHz

when i shut down the computer, and after the power goes of from the computer there is still a light on optical mouse and sometime on keyboard too and the network cable is still working

the computer is off and there is no Hdd rotation

Those things you say are normal on most motherboards. Only with a few motherboards the LED light on the mouse stays on. There is nothing to worry about, use the main power switch on your power supply ore just simply unplug the power cord. ;)

On newer computers, your PSU is never really Off, unless you physically remove the power from it.

Otherwise, the ON button on your CPU case would not work. It's like a door bell button and requires that DC voltage be there when you need to push the button.

SO, even after Windows has shut down and your monitor gone Black, there's still DC voltage present in your system. Not a good deal when storms are raging in the area.

The safest way to run a modern computer is to have it plugged into a switchable power strip that you can turn off when you're done using your PC.

I have my own monitor, CPU and powered speakers plugged into such a cheap little strip on the back of my computer desk, which is in turn, plugged into my 500w UPS sitting down on the floor under the desk.

The UPS acts as a Surge Suppressor to that strip. The UPS is, in turn, plugged into a commercial Surge Suppressor from "PanaMax" which is mounted in the wall socket.

So before the line power can get to my PC, it must first pass through two levels of surge suppression and one switchable strip.

When I tell Windows to turn off my PC is does so in just eight (8) seconds, then I reach back and flip OFF the switch on my power strip.

I've been here in this location in Florida, the lightning capital of the Western Hemisphere, for 18 years and I've never been damaged by lightning or power surges.

My idea of multi-layered surge protection and turning off all line power to my system when not in use, has served me well. I encourage all my hundreds of customers to do likewise. Some do....and some don't.

I make lots of money off of those that don't, or Won't. :whistle::rolleyes::no:

Cheers!

Andromeda43 ;)

My idea of multi-layered surge protection and turning off all line power to my system when not in use, has served me well. I encourage all my hundreds of customers to do likewise. Some do....and some don't.

Yeah, same here, but some people are hardheaded. Did you see the new rules (law) of Europe that is in progress? They want to forbid all standby functions on stuff that doesn’t need it, how about that :P.

Yeah, same here, but some people are hardheaded. Did you see the new rules (law) of Europe that is in progress? They want to forbid all standby functions on stuff that doesn’t need it, how about that :P.

Well, I can't say that I'd like to see it as a law, here. It would save maybe a buck a month off of my Electric Bill.

But, in actuallity, there are millions of killowatts of power going out of our generator plants every day that do nothing but feed instant on devices. It's truly a huge waste of valuable power.

I'm as guilty as the next one at using these conveniences.

My TV's are all Instant ON,,,,my Satellite box is on 24x7, because if I turn it off, it takes six minutes to reload, before I can get a picture on my TV screen.

Worldwide, we're spoiled! We want instant everything.

Then the wife says, "not tonight, I've got a headache!"

So, watcha gonna do? :whistle:

Andromeda