I have just installed XP 64-bit on my new PC:

MSI K9N SLI Patinum Dual Gigabit Lan

2 X 512 Crosair XMS2 667 Mhz RAM

2.22 Ghz AMD DualCore AM2

Gainward 7900 GT 512MB Edition

2 X 250 GB Sata 300/II dsk's

500W PSU

Windows XP 64-bit

And as the topic title states, im missing "Client For Microsoft Networks" in NIC properties.

This makes file sharing with my Server extreamly hard as i can only upload from the server to the new PC

and not the other way around - i cant even read files from the Server

Im using Remote Desktop Connection (Microsoft) to manage the server and this works flawless . . . .

And yes - I have tryed to install the client manualy but got this message:

"Could not add the requested component. The error is: The remote procedure call failed."

Is there a nother client i can use or what should i do??? :realmad:

Thanks from a norwegian dud with poor english :rolleyes:

Edited by NeXCtP

When you first install XP, "Client For Microsoft Networks" should be installed by default. If it isn't, then you should first try to reinstall (there should have been a problem when XP installed the first time).

You shouldn't connect physically your computer to networks (local or internet) before setup is complete, a virus can interrupt the setup process.

Thanks for the reply allen2

But how can the Windows Setup install the Client? u need a third-party Driver from the maufacturer.

:hello: I'm not a noob

Windows can't isntall this clien without ;)

This is REALY bugging me!!! HELP!!!!!

When you install a network adapter(if it wasn't installed during setup) and if you're using unmodified windows XP, windows should automaticaly install "Client for Microsoft networks". If it doesn't, there is most probably either a problem with source CD or a problem during the dirver install.

Ah! I See ;)

Thanks but that didn't help . . . tryed to re-install but no good :(

*Wondering*

*Wondering*

*Wondering*

*Wondering*

When u add under Properties>Install>Clien>, the source files are from the local resources.

Is it posible to download the client or to install it from a CD? Manualy - like picking the directory and such?

Thanks again for the reply :)

Edited by NeXCtP

You can try to launch .inf installation from a dos box but it should result in the same problem as it 's what windows is launching:

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %systemroot%\inf\netmscli.inf, DefaultInstall

Thanks, But as u say

-

As long as it is the same code/string, and the fact that there realy is no difference in Windows and CMD anymore.

:wacko: Same result :huh: Actualy nothing happened :S

I realy think its odd - is there no replacement for this Client? No other? like a freebe or something . . .

:blushing:

Edited by NeXCtP

Did you remove stuff with nLite or a similar application? If so, what did you remove?

Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking, as windows installs the client automatically after detection and installation of the NIC whether this happens during the windows setup or during manual install of the NIC drivers.

Sorry - i'm sick so i i forgot to check the Reply.

No, i dont use nLite or any other client like that :s

Im beginging to wonder if i should get a nother copy of the OS and ReInstall -

and just in case make a Ghost of the current disk - if i doesent resolve itself after the

ReInstall i can ghost it back so i dont need to reinstall all the apps

Thanks

Ps. Still - Nice if someone have a solution ;)

I'll move this topic to the XP64 forum. Maybe you'll have better luck there and it looks like that may be a more appropriate place for your question anyway.

[ moved ]

• 4 months later...

Sorry to necromancy this but I am having this exact same problem on an XP64 rig I just built. I was wondering if anyone else had run into this problem since October and maybe had a fix. TCPIP works fine, and I can map drives TO the box, but I can't map out, and the Client for Microsoft Networks refuses to install. Also, the related services (workstation, server, computer browser, etc.) do not appear on the services list.

I have an Intel DP965LT motherboard, using the built-in ethernet and drivers that Intel provides for XP64. I am using the latest drivers, and have tried removing and readding them but the result is the same. I have all the latest XP64 updates, and even threw on the SP2 RC from MS's site to try to get this working, but to no avail.

This is not a unique problem, I found a handful of references to it on Google (including this post) but no real answers. One person claims to have fixed it by fiddling with their NIC drivers (NIC unknown brand) but no details are given.