Problems with Windows Update

Windows Defender Thread

Relating to this thread, I have edited my Windows Defender package so it does not include the WGA information and should install ok. However, now I get an error message which tells me a Windows Update Update is missing. I have looked at the Defender homepage and the only requirement in Windows Installer 3.1 which is intergrated into my CD, but I have installed it manually to confirm, and the application still gives this error.

Edited by Boyband

I have re-downloaded Windows Defender from Microsoft and have repatched the MSI after doing the Administrative installation to a folder on my HDD.

After getting the Winfows Updates component missing error again in the log file, I went to Windows Update, and when I opened it for the first time I got the following as shown below.

wu.JPG

I decided being only a VM test box to install the update and then retry the Windows Defender installation, and guess what? It worked, straight away.

Could someone please let me know what Windows Update is installing at this point and where I can get it from as it doesn't shown up any KB numbers during that phase of Windows Update.

Your not getting the windows update install because of Windows Defender your getting the update because the WGA check isn't installed yet. Do a google search for RyanVM and check out his update packs. He has a version that includes the check so when you do an unattended install you don't get that windows update problem. BTW, your email has been sent. :)

WGA is installed. I used the RyanVM WGA Addon Pack to intergrate it. I discovered the problem to be because the latest version of Windows Update wasn't installed.

I installed V6 (Microsoft Update) and it allowed me to install it, so I am currently testing out the method of intergratation for the DataStore.edb and MUWEB.DLL as mentioned in a thread previously by BoardBabe.

Hope it works.

I have downloaded the added the Windows Update V6 CAB as provided by Brosy on this thread http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndows+Update+v6.

Windows Defender still fails to install, and also Windows Update still bugs me about installing components for it to work correctly. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

PS: Have renamed thread as appears to be a Windows Update Problem how as opposed to Windows Defender.

Managed to get this working after trying 2 of the methods for intergrating Windows Installer 3.1 V2 and Windows Update V6 files.

First attempt failed, but second worked completely and Defender installs ok.

Case closed!