Windows XP stange ghost disk

silentray

Hi friends,

I keep getting a stange Z: drive on my new HP nc8430 laptop. This drive has a size of my entire harddrive. but it actually does nothing.

This drive does not exist in my "My Computer" and "Exploror", but it can be detected by all the applications. It shows in the "Open" dialog in all my applications. When I select it, the system prompt me to format it.

I have checked the hkey_local_machine\ mounteddevices, but there is no Z: drive exist.

What shall I do? Please help.

Regards,

Ray

No, I checked it in both the normal mode and the safe mode. The driver Z is not one of the hard disk partition.

I found the drive letter Z in the

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

where all the other drive letters are there.

I tried to delete the Z letter, but it is restored when I close the regedit and re-run it again.

No idea why can't I delete it :(

No, I checked it in both the normal mode and the safe mode. The driver Z is not one of the hard disk partition.

I found the drive letter Z in the

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

where all the other drive letters are there.

I tried to delete the Z letter, but it is restored when I close the regedit and re-run it again.

No idea why can't I delete it :(

I'm unable to parse your answer. Does this happen in safe mode?

Does this happen in normal mode when you log in as another administrative user that you've created?

If it is the exact size of the drive, then it's possibly the same drive mapped as network drive.

Try from explorer "disconnect network drive", or from command prompt "net use".

I don't remember the exact steps needed, just search google for the above terms if you are not sure.

GL

Hi friends,

I have solved the problem.

It is just because I have repartitioned the hard drive and deleted the recovery partition which should be Z drive. However, the HP recovery software still thinks the partition is there and marks it as Z drive.

I have deleted the recovery software and everything is fine now.

Thanks for your help :)

Ray