Windows 2003 Domain backup

XP_2600

Hi there

I used to backup Windows 2000 and 2003 servers domains using Acronis true image server, and its really stable and fast, but i always have a problem that i wish to avoid, everytime i restore the server, i need to re join the machines to the domain, with a high number of machines, it can become a hard work, any ideas to avoid need to re join the machines after restoring the domain controller ?

No, AD functions after the version number, during the time, your AD version changes, and as soon as server is restored the version number on the server is lower than on workstations, that's why you have to rejoin them.

However, I didn't get why do you have to restore server? It's very rare that AD server goes down just like that, and I believe that one extra box aside just to keep your FSMO roles would be benefit for both you and your AD environment

Edited by klasika

Well, another solution is export my AD objects out (using a utility like ldifde) and re build the system from scratch, by theway is there any third party utility helping with exporting objects from Active Directory ?

Edited by XP_2600

Well, another solution is export my AD objects out (using a utility like ldifde) and re build the system from scratch, by theway is there any third party utility helping with exporting objects from Active Directory ?

AD has a command line utility to export AD objects to csv file, consult the Windows Server 2003 book for details on how to use this utility. However, having the extra server box that will keep your AD infrastructure as well as FSMO roles is the cheapest way (if you care about TCO - total cost of ownership)