Perfect Disk

RJARRRPCGP

I had bad luck before with Perfect Disk in the past. My I believe 5x back in 2002, when I clicked on one of the menus when it was analyzing the HDD, Windows gave me a BSOD! I believe it was STOP: 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, because of the event log entry. Windows rebooted on me when I clicked on one of the menus! :o:realmad:

Now fast foward to 2004, with a different PC, with I believe Perfect Disk 6x, after I defragmented with the Perfect Disk boot time defragmentation utility, after it was done and rebooted, the following error message popped up:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

That error message would repeat. Thus means that the HDD got corrupted! :o:realmad:

That's uncalled for! Number one, my PC hardware and configuration was fine. Also, the power never went out.

Has anyone had major problems with Perfect Disk before?

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Nope. I discovered my HDD suddenly being corrupted after it was done defragmenting! It failed to defragment properly! My HDDs were never bad. And my other hardware was fine.

I also noticed that Page Defrag can be buggy, (seems to occur with Windows 2000 only) but not as major as with Perfect Disk a while ago.

If you defragment the pagefile with Page Defrag, then right after you log in, you may get an error message pop up saying that there's not being enough virtual memory and the pagefile gets disabled! Windows 2000 may reject the pagefile as "corrupted"!

Not a single problem, ever.

Software cannot damage your hardware. :P You probably had the errors on your hard drive and were unaware of them. I see it happen from time to time.

I didn't mean the hardware. I meant Windows! Explorer.exe was repeatedly crashing after I defragmented! I was forced to reformat the HDD then reinstall Windows!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

After Diskeeper totally screwed about a half dozen hard drives on me, I changed to PerfectDisk and haven't had one problem ever. I've been using it now since the version 5 days. Another thing is that I don't like my money going to support a religion - any religion. When you buy Diskeeper your money is going to the Church of Scientology.

After Diskeeper totally screwed about a half dozen hard drives on me, I changed to PerfectDisk and haven't had one problem ever. I've been using it now since the version 5 days. Another thing is that I don't like my money going to support a religion - any religion. When you buy Diskeeper your money is going to the Church of Scientology.

:blink::blink::blink:

Man, that's got to be THE strangest post I've ever read... ever...

Bad timing and you're blaming everything on PerfectDisk, which is not responsible for your problems.

This was strange. When I tried Perfect Disk 5x I believe back in 2002, I had it analyze the HDD then I wanted to check something on the menus. Then when I clicked on the menu bar, Windows hung then rebooted. It would always go through if I didn't click on the menu bar when it was "analyzing". I never had anything like this occur with Diskeeper.

Also, fast forward to 2004 with not the same hardware, with I believe Perfect Disk 6x, I was defragmenting files with the Perfect Disk boot-time defragmentation utility. It usually does a good job. But all of a sudden when it was complete then rebooted, explorer.exe would keep on crashing. I couldn't even access the desktop. It appears that under certain file placement conditions that it ends up misplacing files.

Jeremy, BTW, I can't recall Perfect Disk having problems under Windows 2000. It worked properly everytime, AFAIK.

Also, I can't recall having problems with Page Defrag under Windows XP.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

You're quoting a Wiki. Nothing on Wiki's should be taken as solid facts since any user can edit them at any time. ;)

Yes, but look at the bottom, #1 under "Notes". That links to a wired article, which cannot be edited by just anyone, and is held by journalistic standards and would be sued if it lied about something like this ("backing evidence" of the WikiPedia Article)

Executive Software CEO Craig Jensen is a member of the Church of Scientology and has claimed his employees are schooled in the principles of Scientology's founder, L. Ron Hubbard.

And to answer the original question, I've never had any problems with PerfectDisk (and I've seen quite a few PCs use it over a few years - including on a bunch of servers -- some running exchange too), and it's doing a MUCH better job than DK ever did (O&O was also better than DK last I've tried it). More thorough (PD won't touch hibernate file, nor NTFS metadata and such), much faster, better placement (namely of the MFT) and all (needs less empty space to run, and has a very good network management console too, that DK only includes in pricier versions). Like Jeremy said, you can't blame your hardware issues on PerfectDisk or whatever. I've never even heard of such "PerfectDisk screwed up my PC" claims before, it's just an isolated incident. It's quality software, they've got a bunch of really decent programmers (like Greg Hayes who's been named a MS MVP for 4 years in a row!), and it's pretty much certified by Microsoft for everything (windows 2000, XP and 2003, MS Exchange, etc), they're a Microsoft Gold Certified partner too. It's used by a lot of companies with great success, and it always gets great reviews too (from PC mag, Windows IT Pro, ComputerWorld, Softpedia, CNET and many others)

Diskeeper is sub-average (IMO), but sells because it's the well-known name, even though other options are usually better and often cheaper too. I'm looking forward to PerfectDisk 8 very soon!

Edited by crahak

I still think it was another issue that only made itself apparent to you at that time, which in your case just happened to be when you rebooted after using PD at boot-time. Never ever heard of any defragmenter causing file errors in the 12 years I've been using PCs.

i cant belive u man....everytime when u have an issue on your pc u blame some software....

i read lots of your posts in nlite thread that in the end turn out is not nlite fault....

so now i can bet is not perfect disk errors ....

i recommand that u should the defragment utility from windows. :P

You're quoting a Wiki. Nothing on Wiki's should be taken as solid facts since any user can edit them at any time. ;)

Ok so you're one of those people. I figured one source was enough. Everyone here has hopefully heard of a search engine.

Jeremy you should try to click on the "[#]" in wikipedia or look at the 'Notes' section it will take you to the external references ;)

but lets try to stay on topic ok :yes:

Mr. Moderator, I wasn't even on Wikipedia so why are you telling me to click this and that on that webpage? :wacko: