Internet Connection, err.... Issues

sekcon

Hey everybody... :w00t:

i've been runing smoothwall to share our cable internet connection for several months now

and have just been using the included dhcp server to handle the address configuration.

I also run windows 2003 for various things such as FTP and IIS but now i want it to handle dhcp

so i can manage leases and setup reservations alot better than what smoothwall will allow.

basic layout of whats currently connected>>>

192.168.0.1 - windows server 2003

192.168.0.2 - smoothwall 2.0

192.168.0.10 - shoebox (my pc)

192.168.0.30 - 192.168.0.50 - the address pool <-- 3 desktops and several laptops that connect wireless

ok.. setting up dhcp on the server was fairly easy and was all done remotly from my desktop

added new scope, setup address pool as above and created a reservation to my pc.. next, next..

added the router option pointing to 192.168.0.2 (smoothwall) as my default gateway. finished.

close it off, make sure its running, minimize VNC, start, run, cmd..

ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, connection time out....

GOOGLE: windows firewall dhcp...... UDP Port 67 needs to be open!... done!

back to desktop - ipconfig /renew, ip address: 192.168.0.10.. default gateway: 192.168.0.2.. dhcp is working great!

launch opera, www.google.com.... server unavaliable. network problem?.. no internet connection!

i load up vnc again into windows server and find out theres no problems with its internet connection..

the only difference is its network connection is setup manually (192.168.0.1) same subnet and gateway.

i then boot up one of the other computers on our network which recieves an ip and gateway address

instantly, but same problem.. no connection to the internet..

every computer can connect and ping one another without any problems.

i try setting up my desktop connection manually but get the same problem.

i can only get a connection to the internet through windows server which is strange considering its just pointing

to the smoothwall box (like the other pc's) via the default gateway address and has higer security settings than any of the other computers does.

well thats my story, i hope ive made sence and havent missed anything.. any help would be really

appericated as im stumped and have tried everything (that i know off) to fix it.. and the fact this has taken

me over an hour to write and many, many hours working out whats wrong.. :rolleyes:..

if you need more info let me know and its yours... peace.. :hello:

Edited by sekcon