Sysprep.exe Utility

steev

I’ve been reading about the Sysprep utility / unattended setup / disc cloning in the “XP Inside/Out” book (a very informative reference!), and I have a question:

Extract from the book:-

Disk imaging (cloning). In this option, you set up Windows on a sample computer and then run the System Preparation utility (Sysprep.exe), which removes the unique security identifier (SID). You can then use a disk cloning program such as Symantec’s Ghost (http://www.symantec.com/ghost)or PowerQuest’s DriveImage (http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage) to copy the entire partition to a new computer; when it starts up, it runs a Mini-Setup program that completes in 5–10 minutes instead of the hour or more that a full Setup requires.

My question is: If you now run the cloned copy onto another computer with different hardware (or the same computer) does the mini-setup programme create a new SID? Is this what it’s saying?

Would the second computer have to be the same model as the original? – is this how companies make their mass produced models?

Here is another extract:-

Setupcl.exe. A small program used by Sysprep.exe to create unique security identifiers (SIDs).

When would this prog run? Is this the prog that does the “mini setup”?

Another extract:

Factory.exe. Helper program used with Sysprep.exe to make changes to a standard configuration before delivering it to end users.

When and how and why would this prog be used?

Thanks for your help and advice,

Regards, Steve

Does the mini-setup programme create a new SID?
A: Yes
Would the second computer have to be the same model as the original?

A: No, but it must have compatible HAL.

is this how companies make their mass produced models?
A: More or less, + network install...
Setupcl.exe. ...

When would this prog run? Is this the prog that does the “mini setup”?

A: I think so but you don't have to start it yourself.

Factory.exe. ...

When and how and why would this prog be used?

A: Factory (command: -factory) - for configurating and repeated restarting in a factory . It restarts in a network-enabled mode without running Windows Welcome or Mini-Setup and enables drivers, devices and programmes to be installed.

Sysprep is a big subject. MS has tens of KB on this alone, + TechNet, MCSE books...

Thanks for those answers, much appreciated - they have helped me to get a much better understanding of the setup process.

Takeshi - what is HAL?

Also, am I right is saying that the "factory.exe" would therefore be used by a company to install the extra software we find on computers?

Steve

HAL = hardware abstraction layer

Factory is used for testing including installation of extra stuff before the final reseal and delivery to end-users.

If you're interested in the subject, read up more (a lot more...) and do it yourself, on a real PC, or virtual PC/VMWare.

Edited by Takeshi