Computer stays at welcome screen

tal ormanda

While Windows displays the Welcome screen, it's also busy loading Services, Drivers and startup programs in the background.

Have you tried booting up in SAFE mode, to bypass most of that peripheral BS?

Don't rule out a Virus, Trojan or Spyware at this early stage.

But try SAFE mode first and report back. We'll go from there.

Andromeda43

Try to update your drivers too, is the most common problem or disable some hardware in the bios,

in my computer I cant install XP until disable the sound and the network integrated periphericals but after that the install run.

After that I download the drivers Updated and enable the sound and network card and all works fine.

:D

Yes, you have to try in SAFE MODE you can use a software like Everest to check your hardware configuration, and download the updated drivers in other machine and update drivers in safe mode.

Or try to disable some hardware when you enter in SAFE MODE, or check with MSCONFIG what is running in the Startup, Disable all the NON-Microsoft Services and check it out.

Edited by Kamus

I'd create a new account and see what happens.

If it loads normally then it's the user profile corrupt problem.

If it doesn't then it's more likely to be a generalised problem.

Try to have a systematic approach and narrow down the possible causes by exclusion. Don't just rush in and guess this and that at random.

Press Alt+Tab at the welcome screen, see what happens (maybe there's a dialog box waiting for a password), you may have Autologon=1 but your Defaultpassword setting may be wrong. Check users settings.

Edited by chon_

When I run into that issue it's the registry is corrupt, doing a registry restore (Using UBCD4Win, or recovery console to pull registry snapshots from the system volume information directory) you should be able to restore yourself to a day or two ago...

This problem is potentially caused by a failing hard drive...