Looking for a few more registry tweaks (easy way to save desktop, expl

I've searched on the forums and on google for these two and i've came up with almost nothing..

Things i am looking for is a registry key that will set explorer and all folders to "Icons View" and also another one that will arrange all icons by "Type".

Dont bash me if these have been posted before, as i said, i've searched thoroughly before posting this :P

Edited by elwood_

Here is the tweak that I have been using to set Explorer to Iconic view:

;
; Explorer View : Iconic
;
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams]
"Settings"=hex: 09,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,E0,D0,57,00,73,35,CF,11,AE,69,08,00,2B,2E,12,62,04,00,00,00,04,0

I haven't found one for sorting by type, but I need it too if you find it :D

I know what you mean about the Google thing. Some people are a lot more familar with using Google than I am. When I use Google, I always get the "Results 1 - 10 of about 117,000,000" :blink:

Edited by PaulIA

@elwood: The code box messed up the tweak with HTML formatting. :huh: I fixed it by putting a space right after the "hex:". Also, you need to apply this tweak when the desktop is loaded, so probably in your cleanup batch file or using the Run key.

Let me know if you still can't get this to work...

Thanks for the reply, Pauls tweak actually worked after all since it was a formatting error at first.

I found a better way to save desktop settings. I set my desktop and folder options and then saved the NTUSER.DAT as described per a post on this forum that i cannot find at the moment.

Saving the NTUSER.DAT is such a better option than trying to set everything through the registry. It actually saves "auto-hide" setting on the taskbar and simple themes (XP silver), icon view, global folder settings, arrange icons by *, everything! Using this method will also apply to new users also.

Saving the NTUSER.DAT is such a better option than trying to set everything through the registry.

Man, I read many times about this method but I've never used it.

I wish I could read a simple guide to that.

I found a better way to save desktop settings. I set my desktop and folder options and then saved the NTUSER.DAT as described per a post on this forum that i cannot find at the moment.

Saving the NTUSER.DAT is such a better option than trying to set everything through the registry.

NTUSER.DAT is part of the registry!

:rolleyes:

I think you were trying to save the default user profile...

NTUSER.DAT is part of the registry!

Isn't NTUSER.DAT what gets loaded into HKCU when a user logs on? It's not part of the registry, it's what the HKCU hive is loaded with, isn't it? :unsure:

I think the idea here is to copy the NTUSER.DAT file from an existing machine so that all of the user prefences (usually done with tweaks) are copied too. At least that's what the posts I've seen seem to indicated. I've been trying to track down all of the posts today to see how this is done. Sounds interesting.

Well... I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm asking a question so that I and others like me can learn. Isn't that the whole purpose of this forum in the first place? :D

My point is that there is not a single file called NTUSER.DAT that is part of the registry. In searching the forum, there are several references to the file NTUSER.DAT as being the contents of HKCU when a user logs on. My understanding is that, depending on who logs in, a different copy of NTUSER.DAT gets "loaded" as HKCU. This is different than, say HKLM, which is the same file regardless of who logs in.

So, if this is true, then one could presumably replace the NTUSER.DAT in a given profile with a copy from another profile. I think what we're all trying to understand here, is the process of how you can get the NTUSER.DAT file from Machine A to Machine B successfully.

Does that sound about right?

Edited by PaulIA

Now I understand better what you were trying to say. ;)

Every user account's user profile has its own ntuser.dat and what you said about HKCU is essentially true.

However, you assume the "registry" is a static entity and that is a rather narrow view of it. Even though it loads only one user profile (the current user who is logged on), it doesn't necessarily mean that the user profile is not part of it.

I look at it this way, all the ntsuer.dat files are part of the registry but at one time, only one is shown in the registry editor. It's a bit like all the clothes in your closet is yours but at any one time, you only wear one set of clothes.

Even the HKLM hive is not static, it changes with every logon session. So by the same token, only the part that doesn't change should be regarded as the registry?

In all the written documentation on the subject that I've read, the registry consists of HKCU and HKLM hives.

I think we're both saying the same thing, it's probably just my view is indeed a bit more narrow than yours. :) I guess I was looking at the registry as only what is currently "loaded" at any one time in the machine, so all the other NTUSER.DAT files that are currently not loaded aren't part of that "loaded" entity, which I was referring to as the "registry". Technically I admit this is not correct as all of the files (loaded or not) can at some time be loaded, but I was trying to frame it in reference to being able to manipulate the non loaded NTUSER.DAT files (like copying them out so they could be used in a UA install).

So, that all said, it appears that if I was "John Doe", I could log in as "Mary Doe" and copy the "John Doe" NTUSER.DAT file out of Machine A. If I want to set up Machine B, is it as simple as creating a profile for "John Doe" and copying this file to that profile?

@elwood: Can you post some information on how you've done your set up that would point us in the right direction?