Invalid Product Key error message during Windows XP setup on a IBM Thi

frustrated geek

:wacko: Hello everyone.

I would be most grateful to any of the wise guys out there willing to help me on this little problem of mine that I think could also benefit many other users.

I'm trying to build an integrated XP installation CD with nLite using the original installation files of my copy of Windows preinstaled in my ThinkPad R50e. The idea is to create a windows installation CD without all the IBM crap that inevitably will clogg up my hard drive if I use the service partition. More importantly, having a working CD of XP will effectively protect the operating system should the hard drive fail and would allow me to reclaim the 5GB of or so of valuable hard disk space actually taken by the hidden partition. Of course I could also create the recovery CD based on the hidden partition but it is simply too much hassle (no less than 7 CDs are required!!!).

However at the moment all this is as pie in the sky because when the time comes of filling up the product ID number during setup with the CD created with nLite windows snaps with that "invalid product number" we all hate. The funny thing is that I'm using the number printed in the sticker of the computer. Even more funny, after investigation this number also doesn't match the OEM product key reported by system utilities such everest in the original installation of XP but keying in this second number is not good either. It seems like I'm using two product keys for the same software none of which seem to work. To be honest I don't think nlite is at fault here, but rather IBM's decision of making things difficult for anyone foolish enough to walk away from its patronising ways. In any event some kind of aclaration from the part of the experts will help me sleep better at night. Thank you very much.

The key that you have discovered is probably [and im not sure of the correct term] a factory key, in that you acn only use it within factory settings of sysprep mode... or someother wonderful reasoning, but the short of it is that most royalty oem's [OEMs such as HP, Toshiba, etc etc] use these methods where they can use a single key in a image. Thus thats why its different to whats printed on the sticky COA on the bottom of your laptop.

As to why it wont accept it, it could be similar reasons in that the key is only acceptable with a Royalty oem distribution - in the same way that you can only use a volume key on a volume media install of XP.

Hope this quick rambling made sense hehe

Regards

Nath

Thank you very much to the fellow that bother to answered my first posting. Feeling slightly disapointed though that the my problem didn't arise a great deal of interest among other members. I'll make a similar posting in another area of the forum so that I don't end up posting to myself like right now. As for the answer itself from Tarquel, well, it is informative enoug, but it does not go to the bottom of the question. Why neither of these two keys seem to be valid to the windows setup? Since there is thousands of thinkpads around with pre-installed XP home, I thought it would be a common occurrence but it seems one of those rare problems for which life is to short for worry too much about. In any case it helps me feel a bit more "geekily special".

there are about 5 different types of xp disc i think..

xp home retail

xp home oem

xp pro retail

xp pro oem

xp pro corp

you need the right version of windows for the key to work

look on the sticker, it probably says OEM by it, if so, you'll need an oem disc

pm me, i'll try and help you out

:wacko: Hello everyone.

It seems like I'm using two product keys for the same software none of which seem to work.

Then as Bledd suggests, it's probably the software that doesn't work with your keys.

One of your keys is a sort of generic key that's put on all that serie of machines, the one on your sticker is an other one that can also be used (or maybe not with all languages if your PC came with different languages) but both need the same version of Windows that came with your computer. Maybe you can extract the i386 from your recovery partition and work with that.

I had a similar problem, this is what I did; I used Driver Genius to get all the pertinent drivers from the laptop, then noted the factory Key of my laptop. I borrowed an OEM CD to use as the source of my UA installation, and used the drivers saved by Driver Genius and the laptop's original factory key. I could use the key from the sticker but the factory key does not require authentication. It worked out great in my case.

My laptop is a Dell, your mileage may vary.

geek,

Please let us know if you work out a solution. I just purchased a couple of T40s with a 4 disk set of recovery disks, and I would like to recover the space used by the service partition, as well as integrating SP2, etc. into an install disk.

@No6: Aren't the driver files available elsewhere? Most, anyway.

rat

Hey! After two days of apathy this thread is getting busy!

First thanks to all who took an interest in my little problem. Second, I think a number of points need some clarification to avoid further congestion of the thread and wasting the precious time and goodwill of all involved in the matter.

I’m the proud owner of two OEM copies of Windows XP. The first one was originally purchased alongside some other hardware when I built one of my systems. It comes in a shiny, beautiful CD all covered in anti-piracy holograms (people using pirated copies of Windows don’t know really what they are missing. The second copy of XP came with my ThinkPad notebook. It is typical OEM pre-installation affair. So no activation is required but no CD is provided neither, only the annoying service partition. In other words an ideal candidate for that lovely nLite to work its magic on. So I tried … and failed miserably when, during the GUI part of setup, I was asked to introduce the keys for the product, as I described in my first email. Strange fate indeed as the copy is 100% genuine.

The instructions on the nLite website are clear enough, and really there are little options for an end-user to cock things up. But because I was using not an original OEM installation of XP but one that IBM has already being tinkering with (and these guys know a thing or two about how to tinker a PC since they invented it!) I thought that nLite had failed to do their job properly and corrupted some file or maybe IBM’s evil corporate mind had deliberately wanted to frustrate any attempt by their end-user to create a working CD based on the original I386 folder.

But please prospective helpers, understand that my main motivation for starting this thread is theoretical rather than practical. I want to know what went wrong and why and not so much how to get through this problem by using other copies or versions of XP –although of course any suggestion in this area is very welcomed and appreciated. Since most ordinary computer users are using precisely this pre-activated versions of XP and rarely have access to an OEM or retail CD version, I thought the subject was indeed relevant not just for me but for that multitude of CD-deprived souls.

I know there is no problem in building a CD based on an original I386 folder but what I would like to know is if royalty OEMs (IBM, HP, Dell) and in particular IBM allow this to be the case in the copies of windows they distributed with the equipments they sell. Believe or not it is extraordinarily difficult to come by with a definite answer (at least in the case of IBM) searching the web, hence coming to the forums which is always my last resource. I would like also to establish if the failure in completing the procedure is due to OEM’s antics or caused by nLite’s unawareness of the fact that is dealing with a “dirty” copy of XP. Being such a common scenario I really thought that some people would already know. I’m so intrigued by all this that I’m going to carry on some research to find out who really is the bad guy in this story. Shortly I will try and build the CD without using nLite and I will report back to the forum members with my results. This time I’m not going to point the finger to anyone.

To put an end to this overlong posting, just another piece to add to the jigsaw. I booted the other day into my thinkpad using a Bart CD and ran winnt32 (the version of setup that runs under windows not the one who starts from the CD). When prompted to provide the product key I did so. And guess what? This time round the generic key and the key on the sticker worked beautifully. Whoever understand all this and is willing to share its wisdom can get a beer on me… Thanks for listening keep posting.

Hey! After two days of apathy this thread is getting busy!

Being such a common scenario I really thought that some people would already know.

You had an answer to your 1st question on the very first day, then you come one day later and be surprised you thread has moved a bit... hum.

Search the forum for "OEM", your question has indeed been answered a few times and people have managed to do it.

Well, as the chap from Belgium rightly suggested there is indeed a little corner in this very forum where the subject is widely discussed and, more importantly, by more knowledgeable members of the geek community than myself. So for those of you with a deep interest in the subject here's precisely where you should be heading:

MSFN Forums > Unattended Windows Discussion & Support > Unattended Windows > Building a pre-activated CD from an existing installation

The thread itself is 5 pages long but full of those lovely misunderstandings, silly questions and sharp retorts that make trying to communication through a forum such an interesting human experience. So I hope you enjoy it and can make sense of it. I have still to find some time to read it. Unfortunately in my first search through the forum I couldn't find it, not surprisingly giving the humungous number of threads in it and the lack of "control and command center" to put a bit of order in this chaos. But, mind you, I'm not complaining. That's the nature of the beast.

Unfortunately trying to properly investigate this sort of issues takes a fair amount of your time and right now I'm a bit busy, so don't expect me to come back with an answer to my original questions in a couple of hours. After I have done my homework I'll be back to the forum to pass the torch of knowledge to other members.

And please Ponch forgive me for my reckless posting!!! I promise I won't do it again. :o

So, geek, what are the contents of the hidden partition? I was a bit put off by the "scary" message in the BIOS, about losing the functionality once the partition is visible to the OS. (I have only had this thing since Saturday, and I have no experience with XP. Just second-hand info about all the "id*** proofing" that is built in. That's why I'm in this forum. I don't like being treated like an eejot.)

Perhaps I am being naive, but shouldn't there be some sort of repository of OS install files somewhere? Like in the hidden partition? They don't seem to be on the recovery disks. I was thinking that if they exist on the hidden partition, that would be the place to copy the I386 folder from, so that one's key would work. This would be particularly useful in my case, since I don't own any CD copy of XP, just w2k3 and 2000.

I was thinking of booting my Partition Magic CD and having a look around the hidden area before I unhide it.

Lastly, have you posted this over at thinkpads.com? I haven't gone through it thoroughly, but I'll bet someone has tried it.

Steve