A question about SFC

Francesco

Hello I wanted to know if by enabling "Disable SFC" in the nLite "Patch" page will only disable it for the install or if it will be kept disable also in the installed windows. I just am asking this because I think it's strange that such setting is enabled by default.

While using nLite in italian the "SFC" becomes "Disable SFC" creating a real mess because the values also are "Enable"/"Disable" values? Couldn't this be fixed (by removing the word "Disabilita" from "Disabilita SFC" in the next version?

Thanks in advance,

Francesco

Edited by Francesco

If you choose Disable SFC how is that enabling something?

Enabled SFC is default, it's not Enabled SFC patch, that's where you got it wrong.

With the italian language "SFC" becomes "Disable SFC" creating a real mess couldn't this be fixed as I said before?

nuhi means that by default, SFC is enabled. Not the patch is enabled but the thing itself is enabled.

Yes I know but in the italian translation it seems the opposite this is why I also asked if that could have been corrected.

What about my other question? The one here below.

I wanted to know if by enabling "Disable SFC" in the nLite "Patch" page will only disable it for the install or if it will be kept disable also in the installed windows.

is it still enabled in the installed windows or does it gets disabled if I install with SFC disabled?

Edited by Francesco

The English says "disable SFC" ... "Enabled (default)"

.... disable... enable... is it not clear that those are opposites and that you enable or disable SFC and not "enable or disable the patch disabling SFC" like you seem to read it ?

The Italian says "Disabilita SFC" ..."Abilita (predefinito)", it's exactly the same. The patch is disabling the service and the SERVICE is ENABLED by default ( = no change).

There is only one SFC and it is enabled or disabled from the start of the install and stays so when XP runs.

The Italian says "Disabilita SFC" ..."Abilita (predefinito)", it's exactly the same. The patch is disabling the service and the SERVICE is ENABLED by default ( = no change).

"Disable SFC":Enable,Disable is quite different than "SFC":Enable,Disable. In the italian version the opposite question is asked. People think that "Disable SFC"="Enabled" means that the SFC is disabled while it egts enabled instead.

Edited by Francesco

Confusing...

If you're right and it's the opposite to the english, then when it says enabled, sfc patch is enabled.

Then we are all wrong. :angel

Francesco, I did check the italian and again, there is no opposite question asked. There is the option to use a patch that modifies Windows and the modification is "disabilita SFC" as by default SFC is "abilita (predefinito)" (read my previous post ?). If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it, you will be fine (I'm not patronising, I'm proving my point). If you know what SFC is, you know that it's normally part of Windows, and if you want to disable it then use the patch and change it to "disabilita".

Right, Nuhi could change the box to "SFC enabled (default)" instead, but this has nothing to do with the translations.

Then we are all wrong. :angel

Francesco, I did check the italian and again, there is no opposite question asked. There is the option to use a patch that modifies Windows and the modification is "disabilita SFC" as by default SFC is "abilita (predefinito)" (read my previous post ?). If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it, you will be fine (I'm not patronising, I'm proving my point). If you know what SFC is, you know that it's normally part of Windows, and if you want to disable it then use the patch and change it to "disabilita".

Right, Nuhi could change the box to "SFC enabled (default)" instead, but this has nothing to do with the translations.

Well from my point of view there's a big difference between "Disable SFC" and "SFC" for the setting name for the simple reason that if you look that value as a setting you can think that if you select Enable the SFC gets disabled. "Disable SFC" is the opposite of "(Enable) SFC" that is present in the english version.

If you find a doomsday machine with "Disable destruction of humanity" written on it and you would be forced to press a button would press the "Enable" or "Disable" one? What if the buttons were named instead "on" and "off"?

Edited by Francesco

• 2 years later...

It is still unclear to me what to set this to.

It is called "SFC (Windows File protection", next to that I see the options "Enabled (Default" and "Disabled",

so, I assume then that putting it in 'Disabled" disables SFC ?

But when I read what it says below it, it becomes totally unclear what to do, because it says:

"Disable automatic recovery of replaced and deleted system files and folders. This disables SFC during and after install." etc.

In short: Enabling it will disable SFC.

I assure you, there is no logic in this.

What should we set it to, in order to DISABLE SFC ?

nuhi means that by default, SFC is enabled. Not the patch is enabled but the thing itself is enabled.

Then it should not be put under patches. One assumes it is Enabling the patch, and the patch is (I assume?) to Disable it.

• 1 month later...

Wow, this thread started in 2006!

I found it because I also got to the nLite step for SFC disabling and wondered if I was enabling SFC or enabling a patch to disable SFC.

WADR, maybe the dropdown should read:

SFC Enabled (default) or SFC Disabled