Changing the Resolution in WinPE

axeldoomeyer

Default video driver usually support at least 800x600x8. Anyway it's depending on the video card model. Try to set it from command line with setres.exe (google for it).

Edited by allen2

When I run the SetRes.exe no matter what I set the resolution to I get the following error: "Display mode change requested and windows replied.... The graphics mode is not supported."

Do I need to somehow install video drivers? If so, how do I go about installing them?

BTW, I have an NVidia GeForce FX 7600GT. So I know it will support it. Also, if I have to install a driver then I would like to install drivers for several video cards.... The whole 16 color is a little annoying.

Thanks...

Edited by axeldoomeyer

You can most certainly add video drivers, in the exact same way you would install other standard drivers -- with the DRVINST utility while building your PE image. Current video drivers can be a pain because of all the "supplimentary" stuff that they also load, such as advanced control panels and whatnot.

You may want to go looking for a driver snapin for BartPE or something, and then slightly modify it to fit your standard PE image.

OK I think I am missing something here. I have tried to add the drivers using DrvInst with no luck. By installing the drivers using this method will WinPE detect the Video card based on the drivers available and then load them? Allowing me to use a resolution higher than 640x480x16? Is there a generic driver that I could use to display 800x600x32? I am not sure if I am on the right track....

Albuquerque you stated using a Plugin for BartPE any suggestions or links? I haven't found anything that will work.

Thanks...

WinPE 1.6 (based on Server 2003SP1) works fine on my 7900GT without loading NVIDIA drivers, so I'm at a loss to tell you what to look for... Where is your WINBOM.INI file located exactly? Is it in the root of the X:\ drive, or is it in X:\i386?

Edit: I had a thought... I know what you're probably missing: the drivers for your chipset. All the machines I support are based on Intel chipsets, and as such I've installed (via the DRVINST utility) every chipset driver that I'll ever need. Installing the chipset drivers also allowed several of my USB ports to start working, and also allowed access to Intel RAID devices too.

I bet that's your real issue right there...

Edited by Albuquerque

OK I have rebuild my PE image and I added the following Switches to the MkImg command. /PNP and /WMI and now my video resolution is working!!!

Albuquerque thanks for your help, I do have one question. Is it possible to use Explorer.exe as a shell? If so, how? Any links or info on this. I would rather do this manually as I am learning how PE works more than anything.

BTW: I am using PE 2005 with Server 2k3 as my source.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by axeldoomeyer

Explorer is not an "easy thing" to add, to say the least. I'd suggest you get comfortable with a lot more of PE before going down that road.

We are making quite easy to add using winbuilder and windows 2003 as source. Here's the result on a 50Mb ISO:

windowspictureandfaxviewer1ck7.th.jpg

PE environments are quite easy to handle with more flexible tools, the package also includes a script to change the screen resolution..

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showforum=22

:)