PC won't shut down

Les5

Hi all,

When i press " shut down " my pc doesn't, just carries on like i have not tried to shut it down.

I have run Adaware, spydot, AVG, they all say its clean.

i appreciate any help,

thanks

ps - i won't be able to answer any replies straight away, but i will get back here as soon as i can.

thanks

Check your system and application logs for clues. Beyond that, I'd update ALL my device drivers. Shutdown issues are often caused by a hanging device driver.

If all else fails, try shutting down via the command line:

shutdown -s

- Ravashaak

Check your system and application logs for clues. Beyond that, I'd update ALL my device drivers. Shutdown issues are often caused by a hanging device driver.

shutdown -s

- Ravashaak

Even better, you can force the shutdown via "shutdown /f" command line.

Thanks guys,

Its going good again now, i only reinstalled the OS a few days back and i knew i had the most recent drivers, but thanks for the good suggestions anyway.

I finished up updating all antivirus programs and " Adaware " then picked up 3 problems, i deleted them and then i installled System Mechanic and ran every program that offers, she is running well again.

Thanks to both of you for your replies and the shutdown commands, they might come in handy some other time.

Have a great day :thumbup

shutdown -s

- Ravashaak

For the sake of knowledge, if you were to do this or the /f and attempt to force them, does this go about the shut down in a much different way than clicking on Start-->shut down-->shut down ?

I guess to be more clear, I just want to understand how the system responds to these different requests, as well as how the requests differ internally.

shutdown -s

- Ravashaak

For the sake of knowledge, if you were to do this or the /f and attempt to force them, does this go about the shut down in a much different way than clicking on Start-->shut down-->shut down ?

I guess to be more clear, I just want to understand how the system responds to these different requests, as well as how the requests differ internally.

Shutdown.exe makes the same call to windows for shutting down the system, however the /f option forces all application and services to stop and it will kill the process if it hangs. No confirmationboxes will be shown if the /f option is used.

So if there is a problem with some app hanging, /f will kill it and the shutdown can take place normaly.