Vista Build 5536 Still useless

bjorland

I played a bit with Vista build 5384, and most of my software and games ran on it, except some very old games. DivX 6 work fine, my Winfast PVR software also work, and my sound drivers worked 50%, only have stereo and Vista didn't even pick up my nvidia mobo and soundcard. I took off Vista because my Logitech Racing wheel didn't work under it.

Now this weekend I tried out build 5536, and the installation is quicker and vista is more stable, but that is it. They went a step backward with software compatibility. My WInfast PVR software works only in WinXP compatibility mode, without it I only get a black screen. DivX runs, but converter gives errors at the end of a conversion and DivX Player is flickering the whole time. Deamon Tools doesn't install, in 5384 it worked.

Quake 4 installs, but doesn't run, tried win98 compatilibilty, it starts then complains about opengl. So then took build 5536 off, installed 5384, installed all my software, tested it and it worked, Then upgraded to 5536, took 3 years (being sarcastic) to upgrade, then my performance score was lower, deamon tools gives errors now, can't uninstall it, but the funny thing is that DivX is still working. Now why didn't it work on a clean install of 5536.

Vista looks great and much nicer than WinXp, but if hardly any old your old software is going to work in it, then Microsoft has some serious work still to do.

you do realize all the problems you have listed have been with 3rd party software, MS has made changes to their OS, now the software vendors need to make the corrisponding changes to their software. they have have not had to make a major change to their software in the last 8 years or so (2000 through XP) now vista has changed many things and software vendors need to catchup.