Windows OneCare compatibililty

Nakatomi2010

So, I bought Windows OneCare after using the beta version since I was more satisfied with it compared with what else is currently available... Have it installed on 3 computers right now, and I want to be able to install it on Windows Vista... My biggest issue is that in order to install OneCare you need to install it from the inernet (Well, I have to, since I didn't buy the install CD)

I've found the directory that the install files are placed in (&Programfiles%\microsoft onecare\staging\)

Mostly consists of MSIs and CABs, but through the use of Orca, an MSI editing tool, I'm able to remove the requirement for needing to be run in Windows XP (removing the requirement from the 'Launch Conditions' section)... So I can get it to install in Vista, but not actually run properly... I'm assuming the Microsoft Protection Service is not entirely compatible with Windows Vista... Is this an issue with the way Vista runs its services or is there a larger issue at hand that I'm not entirely aware of?

In case anyone was wondering...

OneCare is installed on my Windows Vista box, however the WinSS.exe (Virus scanner) and msfwsvc.exe (Firewall) services wont start. The firewall I'm not so concerned over as I typically leave it off, however the virus scanner (WinSS.exe) wont start, says that I need a newer version of Windows (Which makes me giggle a bit since I AM insatlling it on a newer version of Windows)....

Is there a way for me to start a service in some sort of "Compatibility mode"?

Once this issue is resolved I believe I'll have a functional One Care insatll in Vista...

i would wait for a compatiable version of one care for vista, since the networking stack in vista was rewritten i doubt you could get the AV scanner to work properly. also why the Firewall scanner will not start.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...