IE 7: Problems Going back to IE 6

return_03

I installed Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 on a computer in my home, and after my dad used it for few months he decided that it wasn't any good. It wasn't loading pages correctly, and it was timing out while loading pages. So I tried to re-install IE6, by downloading the small (around 400 Kb) file off of Microsoft's web site. But every time I tried to run it it said that there was a newer version installed. So I researched and did the registry hack manually to bring the version below 6, and make it think that it wasn't installed, but it still would not install. So I looked on these forums and saw a post that said to use WinXP Manager to set the version and then install the older Internet Explorer. I used the program to set the version and was able to run the install file from microsoft's site, and IE6 intalled. But either the IE6 install, or something that WinXP Manager did, messed up some DLL's, because when I rebooted the computer I got three message dialogues, for three different .exe's, that all said:

"The procedure entry point AssocGetPercievedType could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll."

All three dialouges had an OK button, which I pressed. Then a fourth box came up that said:

"The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your admistrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL."

It then had a button that said restart. To get the computer to start I had to press F8 and use a restore point (that was made when I first ran WinXP Manager). What is corrupting those DLL's? Is it happening when I am using WinXP Manager to change the version of IE in the registry, or is it happening when IE 6 intalls? I tried to install IE6 from the Windows Install disk, but for some reason (I think because it has service pack 1a not 2) the file IEXPLORE.EXE is not on it. Is there any other way to revert to IE6, or am I stuck with upgrading to newer Beta versions of IE7 untill they release the finished program?

Pretty stupid. OK, it was in the Uninstall list, but then why is there so much info out there about changing registry settings and all that? I guess everyone is having all kinds of problems with this. I personally never use Explorer, exept to access my college websites. I think I will wait until Microsoft releases the finished version. Thanks for the help.