Freeze Up after Streaming Video

bearsowner

This has been an ongoing problem...I have a DSL 1 meg connection. After watching a streamng video on MSNBC or on any other site and try to "X" out, a complete freeze, nothing happens. My mouse will move, but clicking on the "X" not does close the window. Clicking on anything else has no effect either even before trying to "X" out.

The video plays fine with no problems, but after that I have to manually shut down the computer and then start it again and run through the scandisk process to correct errors it has found.

Don't think it is a memory problem, 384 Ram installed, but have virtual memory set at 896 megs min and max..

I have heard this is a common problem with Win ME because it cannot release memory correctly? Anyone can explain that?

Have the latest version of Flash Player installed incidently, version 9...also using IE6 as my browser...

Maybe you should update to a higher version of windows media player and to the latest IE version + updates available for w98.

See laso all the other patches, fixes, uSP2.01a and so on to make your PC up to date.

I would start by this.

If the above doesn't work try Ctrl+Alt+Delete and kill the task manualy. That will avoid you to press the reset button.

Hi, thanks for the input.

Well I have the latest version of Internet Explorer that ME can handle, plus all the updates have been loaded from the Windows update sight.

I am using the latest Windows Media Player 9. But now you have me thinking that maybe one of the media players files could be corrupt, unlikely, but possible.

You're saying the videos on MSNBC are played using WMP, I had thought Flash Player...

Back to the drawing board..

Thanks for at least responding...

And no Ctrl+Alt+Del does NOT work, I have been trying that since the beginning...the Close Program menu appears, but nothing happens when you click End Task...

It seems like it is waiting and waiting for something, but it never happens...

Edited by bearsowner

Update: The problem does NOT occur watching news videos at CNN.com or FoxNews.com...the problem ONLY exists at MSNBC.com...does that tell you something?

Like the guy who went to the doctor complaining that every time he bangs his head against the wall it hurts...the doctor charged him $100 to tell him to stop banging his head against the wall..

Use an older version of WMP. I've heard from other users that 6.4 is probably the best for 9x systems.

You can't use 6.4 if you want to watch videos from the sites bearsowner says. WMP9 is compulsory or at least some components of it.

Use an older version of WMP. I've heard from other users that 6.4 is probably the best for 9x systems.

You can't use 6.4 if you want to watch videos from the sites bearsowner says. WMP9 is compulsory or at least some components of it.

You are absolutely correct. MSNBC even tells you that their video player is optimized for WMP 9.

The other two sites CNN and Fox also use WMP as their player, but haven't had any problems after closing down. So after making a brilliant deduction, there is something different that MSNBC is doing.

Okay found the freezing and crashing is due to IE6 or Windows Explorer waiting to close. It just hangs and won't close the site.

I have experienced this on some other websites, but within 20 or 30 seconds the site eventually closes.

Anyone know why the lapse of time occurs?

Just a side note, I have the latest version of Sun Java running along with Microsofts Java Virtual Machine Build 3810, just wondering if there may be a conflict there.

Edited by bearsowner

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having the same problem with MSNBC videos . . . and now some other videos as well. I have comcast broadband and 768MG of memory so I don't believe memory or connection speed is my problem.

My laptop locks up and lately it causes my internet connection to fail also. I have to reboot my laptop and my wireless router in order to reconnect to the web.

I can run streaming videos from some sites . . . those with Flash . . . like YouTube and Comcast's videos . . . but if there is a wmv file or any file from MSNBC, my system locks up. Interestingly, it allows the 15 sec or 30 sec commercial to play successfully, but not the video story that I select.

If anyone has a solution (other than "stop banging your head on the wall"), two of us would be grateful.

I have been having the same problem with MSNBC videos . . . and now some other videos as well. I have comcast broadband and 768MG of memory so I don't believe memory or connection speed is my problem.

My laptop locks up and lately it causes my internet connection to fail also. I have to reboot my laptop and my wireless router in order to reconnect to the web.

I can run streaming videos from some sites . . . those with Flash . . . like YouTube and Comcast's videos . . . but if there is a wmv file or any file from MSNBC, my system locks up. Interestingly, it allows the 15 sec or 30 sec commercial to play successfully, but not the video story that I select.

If anyone has a solution (other than "stop banging your head on the wall"), two of us would be grateful.

No, no answer yet from MSNBC tech support group and honestly I don't think I will get one. They did tell me to reconfigure my WMP which I did, but that was of no help.

I can watch the videos from MSNBC with NO problem, it is after I am done watching and "X" out is when mine freezes up. Very frustrating because CNN and FOX news videos play fine.... I have come to the conclusion that the problem is with MSNBC videos and not my computer...