Windows 2003 server : active directory problem

hey everybody !

First a little history of what I did:

I am trying to setup a testing server to learn more about windows 2003 server without killing everybody's else's network at work (so I set up an entirely new domain in a new forest) ... the computer that I am setting up this server on has two network cards

1. first card is connected to the company intranet/internet

2. second card (this is the one I am setting up the test domain on)

Both cards have absolutely different gateways and DNS system and I don't want them to be connected in anyway .... since this is a test server I don't want anybody accessing this domain ..... so I have everything setup .... everything seems to be working and I can access the both the intranet/internet from the first card when i want to and also access the new domain as well by running IIS on the same server .....

The settings of the second card are as follows :

IP : 10.0.0.1

DNS: 255.0.0.0

Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Preffered DNS server: 10.0.0.1

Alternate DNS server: 127.0.0.1

This card has no connections going out from it and is disconnected. Don't have another machine lying around wish I did... ping works fine too I can ping 10.0.0.1 and I get a reply and I can also ping virtualvidya.com and I also get a reply ... so I guess DNS is working fine

so Now the PROBLEM :

Now when I click on anything related to active directory from administrative tools I get weired errors ..... in short and simple way I cannot access the new forest and domain I setup through active directory. Errors I get are listed as follows:

1. Clicking on 'Active directory domains and trusts' : The configuration information describing this enterprise is not available The server is not operational'

2. Clicking on 'Active directory sites and services: Naming information cannot be located for the following reason. The server is not operational'

3. Clicking on 'Active directory Users and computers' : Naming information cannot be located for the following reason. The server is not operational'

Can anyone please help me solve this problem ... saw an article in microsoft help which says that I should enable TCP/IP filtering ... so I did it on the second card through the advanced options in TCP/IP properties and also permit all on TCP, UDP and IP protocols .... Active directory still has problems finding the server .... can anyone please help

Active Directory survives on DNS, and your DNS needs work. So we'll start there.

IP : 10.0.0.1

DNS: 255.0.0.0

Preffered DNS server: 10.0.0.1

Alternate DNS server: 127.0.0.1

First, are you running a DNS server on that machine? If not, you need to start one or point your DNS at a DNS server. Second, DNS: 255.0.0.0? That is wrong. Your other two DNS entries are valid but both point at the local machine...you only need one of them if the DNS server is running locally.

OK, change your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 (I am assuming you are running Class C).

Where is your DNS server actually running at?

You may want to doublecheck that the gateway address is correct for your network.

well I have diabled my primary NIC card which connects to the company intranet/internet ..... so this is a standalond DC now connected to nothing at all........

All I have now is a the other NIC card on which I have set up the domain "virtualvidya.com"

Here is the info on that card

IP: 10.0.0.1

subnet: 255.0.0.0

DNS: 10.0.0.1

This card is not connected to any computer and shows a disconnected sign ... also the DNS server is running and pings are fine and returing fine too ... What can I do next....

Even after the error when I click ok the Active Directory window opens up and when I browse for the domain I can see the domian "virtualvidya" in the domains found but when I select it it tells me it couldn't find the RPC server ... and then an error in shown in window.... My dreams of running AD are now shattered I think .... I have little hope left .... I've even tried to reinstall Active directory twice but now good ....

:thumbup

:D:D

YIPPEEEEEE !!!! I got it to work guys ..... thanks to all you guys for all the contributions .....

anyway I had to reinstall the OS so that was the hard part and I promoted it to a domain controller before I connected it to the company intranet ..... so before connecting to the company intranet I installed a microsoft loopback adapter and then ran "dcpromo" and created the domain and everything again .... then after that I connected it to company intranet/internet with the other NIC card ........

Active Directory works .... I am so glad to be able to see the domain in AD and not get an errors......

The DNS is still a little choppy though .... if I enable both the NIC's then DNS has trouble resolving so if I want to browze the company intranet/internet I have to disable the domain NIC and the loopback adapter ..... and vice versa ...

any solutions for that ....... THANKS AGAIN GUYS

well routing makes sense but I don't intend to connect any computers to this domain .....

the domain name is "virtualvidya.vp"

all I want is for the first DNS server to handle all calls to this domain and forward all the rest of the calls to the other DNS servers ....... will you think this will work .... if so how can I arrange that in DNS