Vista after changing mobo

SilverHaze420

I took my Hard drive with the install of vista 5536 on it and took it from one machine running on an... ASRock 775XFire-e-SATA2 board and put the drive in a Dell machine with all the same pci and video card and now I can not do windows updates and MSN and windows defender will not work. I think because I changed motherboard & CPU its considered a different computer and not the one this was validated to. Could this be possible?

you probably freaked out the OS, probably a different chipset on the MOBO and everything, if you want to run it on a different machine i would suggest a clean install of it, or you will have nothing but problems

I experience similar problems with Windows XP... Typically a repair install ought to work to resolve the problem... Though I don't know how to do a repair install with Vista...

The typical method is that from the boot up install there'd be point where it see previous versions of Windows and it'll come up with a previously unavailable "Press R to repair his install of Windows"...

I haven't twiddled around with this similar method for Vista, but in theory if you get your hands on RC1 build 5600 you SHOULD be able to do an upgrade to the newer version from within Vista which should theoretically repair the issue...

In theory...

• 3 weeks later...

You do a repair with Vista by booting on the DVD again, after you select the language a screen comes up where its asks for the location of the install, there is an option there to do a repair.

I experience similar problems with Windows XP... Typically a repair install ought to work to resolve the problem... Though I don't know how to do a repair install with Vista...

The typical method is that from the boot up install there'd be point where it see previous versions of Windows and it'll come up with a previously unavailable "Press R to repair his install of Windows"...

I haven't twiddled around with this similar method for Vista, but in theory if you get your hands on RC1 build 5600 you SHOULD be able to do an upgrade to the newer version from within Vista which should theoretically repair the issue...

In theory...

Edited by Spooky