computer shutting off

janus zeal

I have a computer running windows server 2003. i woke up this morning and found it off, i turned it back on and was greeted with a dialog asking why it shutdown unexpectedly. i thought nothing of it. power spike or something.

then i went for a walk, came back an hour later and found it off again.

im thinking its a hardware problem, but is there any software issues that may cause this?

I have a computer running windows server 2003. i woke up this morning and found it off, i turned it back on and was greeted with a dialog asking why it shutdown unexpectedly. i thought nothing of it. power spike or something.

then i went for a walk, came back an hour later and found it off again.

im thinking its a hardware problem, but is there any software issues that may cause this?

If it would BSOD/crash/hang, I'd say it could be a software problem, but if it's just turned off, I'd concentrate on hardware (power supply?) if I were you.

nothing in the evenvwr that might give you an idea?

I'd go with power supply. I am assuming you also have it connected to a UPS. Does the server have a redundant PSU?

You won't get anything in the event log about the cause of the shutdown if it's C.O.P.

You should monitor it to see if it's a hard shutdown like the power cord was pulled out, or a software-initiated shutdown.

Certain malware has been known to have the capability to do a shutdown via software.

check capacitors on the MB around the CPU, the symptoms you've described sounds like it...

That don't sound like bad caps unless Windows started getting majorly unstable before. Windows probably would keep on erroring long before it would shut off. The first symptom of bad caps would be that it crashes when running demanding tasks. Especially games and benchmarks. Then it gets worse until it starts crashing even when idle.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

check capacitors on the MB around the CPU, the symptoms you've described sounds like it...

That don't sound like bad caps unless Windows started getting majorly unstable before. Windows probably would keep on erroring long before it would shut off. The first symptom of bad caps would be that it crashes when running demanding tasks. Especially games and benchmarks. Then it gets worse until it starts crashing even when idle.

not sure where did you get this from, anyway it's not even important, this sounds just like bad caps, when caps are bad, Windows will just shutdown with no prior errors or anything (have had many cases with caps, and not a single error log about any instability...

Edited by klasika

not sure where did you get this from, anyway it's not even important, this sounds just like bad caps, when caps are bad, Windows will just shutdown with no prior errors or anything (have had many cases with caps, and not a single error log about any instability...

http://badcaps.net is where I got this from. A sudden shutdown without an error message sounds more like a cooling problem.

Most people report that the symptoms of bad caps is like an unstable OC.