Multiboot problem : ( Added a SATA card )

gemini_shooter

hi !

Caught in a little situation here ..... a little history before I give u the problem ...

I have a dell machine on which I installed a new hard drive and partationed it to install two OS's on it (Win 2K and Win XP pro) .... its working great and I have the multiboot setup perfect.....

My motherboard doesn't support SATA so I bought a SATA card and installed it on the motherboard and hooked up a SATA hard drive to it

Now the problem:

1. When I boot my computer I get this weired screen now which says "No Raid" and something else and then it jumps to the multiboot menu...

2. The SATA card has an extra IDE channel so I want to hook up and old hard drive to it and install linux on that drive .... is it possible .. if so will it destroy my multiboot ? I still want to to be able to multiboot to Win2K or XP pro ....

Any help would be great .... thanx

1. When I boot my computer I get this weired screen now which says "No Raid" and something else and then it jumps to the multiboot menu...
Cannot say, most probably is a wrong setup in the BIOS, either the one of the PC or of the add-on board (the latter could be also a jumper)
2. The SATA card has an extra IDE channel so I want to hook up and old hard drive to it and install linux on that drive .... is it possible .. if so will it destroy my multiboot ? I still want to to be able to multiboot to Win2K or XP pro ....

No problem at all, if you pay attention NOT to overwrite MBR of your current drive(s) when installing Linux.

A very handy way to triple boot with the minimal hassle is to keep your current setup with NTLDR and BOOT.INI and use GRLDR (part of Grub4dos) as a secondary bootloader to boot Linux.

Get latest version of Grub4dos here:

http://grub4dos.jot.com/WikiHome

If the read me text has not enough details, search on the 911CD forum for Grub4dos, you'll find some threads better explaining the procedure.

jaclaz