help with Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core

wickerwolf

hey all, ive found a Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core RET 64 bit LGA 775 2 x 2.66 GHz 2MB for 50 pound an ive heard its overclockable to 4.2ghz :D but would this go in my motherboard or would i need a new motherboad to go with it?

*check my sig for my mobo info*

Of course you'd need a new motherboard to fit an Intel CPU (LGA775 socket) - not like it'll fit on a AMD board (that uses a s754). They're completely different.

As for that CPU.... meh! I wouldn't bother with it. it's not exactly a huge upgrade from what you have IMHO (especially since you also have to buy a board - not enough speed increase to be worth it).

Overclocking wise, youy don't want to OC that thing to 4.2GHz do you have ANY idea how much heat this thing puts out @ 4.2GHz??? Two hundred sixty watts! Yep. You did read that right - 260w! As much heat and power consumption as *four* Core 2 Duos. You're going to have to invest a significant amount in water cooling (that along with an expensive overclock-friendly mobo pretty much negates the whole point of doing this by itself - the chip's only ~100$, but you just spent like 400$ to make it run). Well, either that, or some monster heat sink (still expensive'ish) with a monster fan that'll make a LOT of noise - and I mean, a LOT of it. Also plan to invest in a fairly powerful quality PSU (those aren't cheap either) - and that case of yours better have some real good airflow too! And hopefully electricity is cheap where you live, because this thing will use ridiculous amounts of it (adds up). As a bonus, you won't need to heat your house during winter (but you'll double your AC bill). 200 extra watts (over a conroe) * 365 days/year * 24h/day * 10 cents or so/kilowatt hour (adjust accordingly) = about 175$ more in electricity than a Conroe will use per year. Over a average lifespan of 3 years, that's 525$ of electricity more than a Conroe would have used (and the Conroe won't cost 525$ more to buy, and is a faster chip). And that's using moderately priced electricity (hydroelectricity) - I believe it's nearly three times that much over in the UK, so you'd be looking at closer to 1500$ worth of electricity over 3 years... (if you use AC in the summer, then it's even more!) Still sounds like an inexpensive rig?

If you want a decently fast chip, Athlon64's are the way to go right now (again, IMHO) because of the ridiculously overpriced Conroe boards. If you want a high-end monster rig, then Conroe. I see no reason to justify buying netburst crap at this point.

The only reason why people have done this, it's because back then it was about the same speed as a chip that costed 1000$ more, so even if you had to pay a fair amount for motherboard/cooling/PSU and all, disregarding electricity costs and heat.

Just bought another PC today (permanent linux box)... Athlon64 3500+ s939, 1GB DDR (2x512 PC3200), 200GB HD, DVD-RW drive and all... Half decent motherboard (has PCI-E, SATA, high def audio and all; 4 DIMM slots). 9-in-1 memory card reader thingy at the front, XP MCE 2005...Cheapo mouse/keyboard/speakers included. 380$USD Not bad at all :thumbup

Edited by crahak

although looking back thru the magazine now theve done all this with stock heatsink and a case thats got no were near as much cooling as mine and as for "back then" it was in this months eddition of pcformat magaizne, yeah amd 64 x2 was my origanal choice anyway just seeing that in the magazine made me ponder

Yeah, crahak is right, and don’t forget that you need to get DDR2 also. It’s even useless to go with a core2duo, tried the 6700 here and it doesn’t perform that much better then a X2, and it’s slow on 64 bits.

Yeah, crahak is right, and don’t forget that you need to get DDR2 also. It’s even useless to go with a core2duo, tried the 6700 here and it doesn’t perform that much better then a X2, and it’s slow on 64 bits.

really? the benchmarks dont show that... but are you overclocked with that X2?

Actually 260w is the entire system, not just the CPU. CPU is consuming ~150W at 4GHz.

Yours probably will run stable 4GHz on air cooling, but even if it doesn't, 3.x GHz is still good.

I don't know about you, but power is cheap here. Also, you don't need to run it at full overclock all the time, many of the newer Asus mobos can change clock frequency from within Windows with no reboot.

Edited by LLXX