What Shells are available for WinPE

axeldoomeyer

I am a n00b when it comes to WinPE. I have a CD that I wrote several years ago that has all of my diagnostic tools and AV software on it; however, I think it is time that I upgrade to PE. I would prefer to use the M$ PE as I am a system builder and have the OPK CD's. I have been having some issues running a shell program. I am looking for a shell that looks and function similar to XP and has a "Start Menu" and Desktop, etc. I have seen screenshots of some of the PE disks and I must say they look good. What shell programs do you use?

Thanks in advance.

If I remember OPK is just OEM Preinstallation Kit with all tools to make unattended setup and the documentation. But WinPE isn't in OPK cds ...

WinPE is more for an install of windows with advanced features (install from network, identifie machine, management with database, etc ...)

If you want to update your old CD with toolkits, try BartPE (freeware).

Actually I have already created the PE cd. It boots but it comes up with the dos promt and that is it. I am just having issues with using a shell such as explorer so I am looking for another interface. The OPK that I downloaded from microsoft did include the WinPE BTW...

Here's a PE disk sized in 45Mb with explorer and a few other features. This explorer shell will boot and run quite fast in a 42Mb ISO.

Run_ISO_in_QemuQemu_Big_Screenshot.jpg

A really good alternative shell is xoblite wich is derivated from blackbox, in the image below it is also running on a 45Mb PE environment:

scriptpack.jpg

Xoblite is a very ligth shell - it needs around 1Mb inside your build and won't use more than 1Mb of RAM if needed. The menu system is quite easy to modify and can be customized with themes and several other settings.

Redcloud is also working on ShellPE, wich might also be a good option to consider.

The above environments on the screenshots are created using WinBuilder in a similar approach like bartPE, all tools and projects are already included and only a Windows Install CD is required to copy.

If you need help porting your favorite rescue applications onto your PE cd's do let me know and I'll help you! :)