Turning off programs automatically running in the background

mandm1516

Hi, I have searched the archives but don't know what to search for. I'm running windows XP, my laptop has a pentium 4 chip and 256 RAM. It's pretty slow--I think a big problem is when I check my task manager, it's common to see CPU useage at 30-40%. I have a lot of programs running in the background that I just don't need--for example, I have an HP all in one printer at home. Right now there are probably 8-10 HP specific programs running and I'm at the office so I don't need/can't use them. ITunes has a couple of programs running, I don't have an IPod and rarely download music. So thee programs are nice to have when I want to use them, but would like to set up my system so they don't come on automatically (use them only when I want them). Is there a way to set my computer up so I can choose which programs start automatically and which programs I can start only when I want them?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Even 64Mb is fine if you're using an nLited XP... I use a rather stripped-down install on 256Mb and the performance is fairly reasonable.

I've seen the HP software bloat too - it's better to just install the driver files via add/remove hardware than the whole package.

Also, start -> run -> "services.msc" you can stop and disable unneeded services there too.

Even 64Mb is fine if you're using an nLited XP... I use a rather stripped-down install on 256Mb and the performance is fairly reasonable.

I've seen the HP software bloat too - it's better to just install the driver files via add/remove hardware than the whole package.

Also, start -> run -> "services.msc" you can stop and disable unneeded services there too.

Laptops are generally so screwed up that I can increase performance by around 100%+.

I just tuned up one, on Monday evening, while sitting at a bar drinking Budweiser.

The owner was blown away by what I could do in just thirty minutes. (or so)

I did have to get my Utilities CD out of my car.

I ran a script to shut down 13 totally unneeded Services. Then another script to tweak memory, then my XPCleanup.bat file to dump a couple of gigs of crapola files from the HD.

Then I did the MSCONFIG thing and then Un-Installed a bunch of junk that was installed by the factory.

Then I installed AdAware SE/Personal and Spybot S&D and removed several hundred pieces of spyware.

Miracle of miracles, AVG 7.1 only found three viruses. Finally, a Defrag finished off the process.

I left a shortcut to my "XPCleanup.bat" program in his Startup folder for a FREE cleanup every time he boots up. NO MORE build up of the crapola. :thumbup:thumbup

Everything I've mentioned here, except the AV and AS software, is available on my Download Site.

Oh yes, get more ram if you can. There's NO replacement for having ample RAM on any system, especially a laptop. At least double it. :yes:

I usually suggest to my customers when they buy a new laptop, "MAX out the RAM" for best performance.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)