W2K: inaccessible_boot_device after Mobo replace

muchlux

Hi,

I had to replace my Mobo of an W2K machine and afterwards I got the blue screen:

"inaccessible_boot_device error"

Google tells me that this is caused by different controller hardware.

Old system had AMD/VIA, new has nForce2.

So my problem is to change the IDE Driver to a generic one.

But how can I do this without access to the running system?

F8 works but Safe mode etc. is not possible.(->BSOD)

I have now installed on the second partition (D:) a new working W2K but how can I fix the errors on C:?

I have a lot of applications installed and do not want to spend day(s) to do it again.

There are some similar postings but I found no answer from people who did it with success.

But I think it should not be impossible if it's only a wrong driver issue?

I recommend that you reformat the HDD then reinstall Windows. Because of left overs of other chipset information. Even if you can get past that BSOD, other software components can misbehave. You may not be able to use anything 3D and/or is slow.

It's running again!

The repair option of the W2K CD does not work, but the reinstall/repair which "Ctrl-X" suggested did work.

I was sceptic first because I had to reenter licence key and country specific things but all software is running again.

I had a similar problem in the past with a damaged registry from mains power interrupt where all repair efforts did not work. At that time I had to reinstall windows.

It's running again!

The repair option of the W2K CD does not work, but the reinstall/repair which "Ctrl-X" suggested did work.

I was sceptic first because I had to reenter licence key and country specific things but all software is running again.

I had a similar problem in the past with a damaged registry from mains power interrupt where all repair efforts did not work. At that time I had to reinstall windows.

But that's just to get past that BSOD. You may have major problems with the video drivers.