What signs are there if nLite has been used?

Wraith

Wraith, I guess you want to detect it and warn users or something.

Precisely.

Anyway just see if there is nlite.in_ in the i386 folder.

Was also thinking about post-installation - I'm guessing that \windows\inf\nlite.inf is going to be what we'll go with in that case.

No associated registry entries at all?

Ta muchly.

hmm, working on an "If you removed IE Core with nLite, XPlode won't work!!!111" error message? ;)

Haha, kinda :P

:)

Just in case that something like that is true it's better to test if there are no needed files there, nlite isn't the only way to remove files.

Well, I was going to be doing that already, but I was trying to figure out whether it would be quicker to query nlite's output :P

Maybe I misunderstood you but you'll put detection if nlite.inf exists that they did something wrong?

Just tell me in PM which components affect you (or the loss of functionality) and I'll tell you quickly which files to check for.

People are using all kinds of removal techniques, nlite is for many to integrate drivers and hotfixes, nothing which can corrupt your preciousss

Initially it'll be a quick check, rather than having to check other places afterwards.

If I know nLite has removed stuff, then I shouldn't need to check other places.

It's still a way off before I need to sort that stuff out, so I'll get back to you via PM a bit closer to when it's nearing completion.

I don't.

The main component that I get emails about is Internet Explorer, and so far, all problems have been introduced by IE being removed by nLite.

I figure that if there are ways to check if nLite has been used, then I could possibly figure out from there whether required bits are missing.

That said, I've not mucked around with nLite to any great degree, so I don't really know whether I can use the files it generates to figure out whether needed components have been removed.

As I said, I shall pursue this a bit closer to completion, because if I can gather as much information about the installed environment, the easier it'll be for me.

That said, I've not mucked around with nLite to any great degree, so I don't really know whether I can use the files it generates to figure out whether needed components have been removed.

Thats what he is saying, he is saying you CAN figure out what was removed, and that he will be glad to tell you HOW to tell if something necessary was removed if you just tell him which components you do need. :thumbup

(unless i totally misread the post in which case, sorry :P)

Edited by taltamir