Error on shutdown/restart

I have installed a new 200 gb hard drive into my old computer that is a sony vaio with 866MHz, 512mb ram, and radeon 9000 pro 128mb agp 4x video card. I installed windows xp mce 2005 on it and ran auto patcher along with a few minor tweaks.

The problem is whenever I restart my computer, an error message appears with a sound and then immediately disapears and the shutdown screen appears. I have tried several times but it just flashes so fast that i can't read what it says. It seems that when I shut down the error doesn't pop up. The error doesn't have any effect on my system's performance as far as I can tell, it's just really hard to know what it is when it pops up so fast.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior before? Is there any kind of program I can use to log my shutdown errors? Any help much appreciated!

Since you don't know what is causing the error you need to look through all three of those logs. You can make it easier by noting the time on your system before you reboot. When the system comes back up look for messages around that time. Look in all three logs.

Thanks, will do.

Well I was able to find the error. It was "USRprbdA.exe - DLL Initialization

Failed : The application failed to initialize because the window station

is shutting down". I have no idea what it could have been trying to do since the message only came up during a restart. I figured the only way to fix it was to find and install the lastest driver for an old USR v92 modem, but I just uninstalled it from the device manager and that seemed to have done the trick.

Edited by canadianfigor

I have installed a new 200 gb hard drive into my old computer that is a sony vaio with 866MHz, 512mb ram, and radeon 9000 pro 128mb agp 4x video card. I installed windows xp mce 2005 on it and ran auto patcher along with a few minor tweaks.

The problem is whenever I restart my computer, an error message appears with a sound and then immediately disapears and the shutdown screen appears. I have tried several times but it just flashes so fast that i can't read what it says. It seems that when I shut down the error doesn't pop up. The error doesn't have any effect on my system's performance as far as I can tell, it's just really hard to know what it is when it pops up so fast.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior before? Is there any kind of program I can use to log my shutdown errors? Any help much appreciated!

It's probably "The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down" or similar. That error message pop up is a known issue and is annoying. It's more likely to occur with Windows XP than with Windows 2000. It's been known to randomly occur when logging off.