Why in hell do people remove stuff from Windows?

Okay, it's been bugging me for quite a while, and I'm sick of the people who whinge at me with XPlode/SelectInstall not working when they've removed Internet Explorer.

So tell me, why do you remove components from Windows?

DVD burners are cheap as chips nowadays, so size shouldn't be a problem.

What realistic reasons are there?

...and I really hope it's not because you need to be more l33t than the other kids on your block. :P

Edited by Wraith

I agree pretty much with dirtwarrior.

I've never liked having anything remotely unuseful to myself on my pc...

This website has helped me remove all the programs and components from windows that I don't use.

Wraith,

You can only put warning on your product. Those who choose to use component stripping software like nLite to remove vital elements, choose thier own path and thus choose to be void of general support. If atleast the requirements are not met, then why should you lose sleep over it.

I prefer and recommend a full OS, as being involved in the programming arena makes me frown over what happens. But what can one do? People make thier owns choices and need to deal with the results of doing so.

Sleep well.

:)

If people are 1337 enough to brag about having a xp cd that doesnt not install ie and arent smart enought to realize that xplode requires ie (core, runtimes, components, whatever) that doesnt tell much about them, does it?

Edited by IceBlackIce

I think many people recognize that XP comes at least somewhat bloated, and removing excess components can not only speed up your OS, but also make it more secure. However, when you take this route, you need to be aware of future ramifications (with regards to dependencies, etc). So long as you know enough to be mindful of the potential pitfalls, you will be fine.

A full, untweaked, bloated OS? Yuck! :puke:

- Ravashaak

I really like to remove dumb things like Briefcase, WordPad, Windows Messenger, Tour, the games, etc. It's nice to have all that crap gone in a work environment and for family members as well. The less there is to play around with, the less things can go wrong - to a point. I wouldn't dream of removing IE or some of the central services that people seem so fond of getting rid of. Oh and I shouldn't forget to mention that removing certain device drivers makes using the DriverPacks much nicer.

I've always felt that when removing things from Windows the old axiom "less is more" works wonders. In the hands of restraint, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, nLite can be an incredible tool. Unfortunately it's degree of usefulness is conversely related to the amount of damage that can be done in the hands of a dilettante.

I agree that some feature are useless and could lead to confusion with computer noob.

But the fact is that you could only remove the shortcut to the application in the Start Menu instead of removing component. Once you start removing stuff, you get a less than standard system which is prone to errors, bugs and other malfunction that wouldn't have shown if you kept the system the way it is...

Anyhow, I agree that thing should be kept the simplest as possible for regular workers, friends, family.

I'm sick of getting our brand new installed computer trashed in just a few days by the end user. I give them what they need to work and even more (QuickTime, DiVx Codec, Live Messenger, Etc.). Why the heck do they start installing crap as soon as they get it ... gee.

Edited by Incroyable HULK