Running Windows Repair

FlameOut

I have an OEM copy of Win XP Pro that I bought from newegg.com and I installed that onto my desktop computer. I have a (Dell) laptop that is also running XP Pro, but is pretty screwed up. Can I use my OEM copy to run Windows repair on the laptop? I won't be installing the OS, since it's already there. Repair doesn't ask for a product key does it? (There is one for XP Pro on the bottom of the laptop)

It will let you do the repair. After repair you might need to reinstall the DELL drivers.

It'll normally ask for the key. Normally OEM media accepts OEM keys.

DELL may use a key for install which is different from that shown in the COA, in my DELL anyway.

My DELL laptop with XP Pro comes with a DELL install CD so why bother with other CDs?

It's a friends computer, that I somehow got stuck trying to repair. I can't do a complete restore, I just needed to get it to boot up properly and hopefully get it back online. I get errors like no winsocks2 file, can't right click on My Computer to go to properties, and when I logon to the users account, there is no taskbar/Start menu! It's there when I log on as administrator.

That is the biggest problem. How can I get the Taskbar to showup?

IF, you have a CD with the exact (and I do mean exact, not close) version of windows as is already on your computer, you can do an Unattended Re-Install and it will refresh all the windows files in your C:\windows folder and NEVER ask you for your key. I've done it many times with perfect results.

Here's how it's done:

Re-Installing Windows-XP

If you need to reinstall Windows-XP and want to keep all your current installed applications and settings:

1. Start Windows-XP

2. Find the location of your source files (a folder called "I386" , May Be on Your Install CD or a folder on your HD) You may find several i386 folders on your PC but you want the one that has the .cab files in it along with the command file "Winnt32.exe".

3. Run WINNT32 /unattend ,,, For example, D:\I386\winnt32.exe /unattend (type this command into the RUN box, then press ENTER).... Leave just one space where I've put three for emphasis, at the end of the command and before the switch (/unattend).

I've often needed to do this to repair something that had gotten corrupted and I didn't want to do a clean install.

No data or drivers will be harmed in this process. :thumbup

Good Luck and Happy Computing,

Andromeda43 B)