program compatibility tab

jpmp

Hi i just registered on this forum and ive been usin nLite some time now and it's easy to use and very great program.

setting and other things arent causing me any problems, i can use nLite very well and i understand lots of things it can do (but guess not all :P ). however when removing components and all, i noticed i dont see "compatibilty mode" tab when checking application properties. (i mean when i use this nlite created cd and install windows) you know that tab that allows you to run programs in DOS/ME or 98/NT mode. i tried to search for this and tried to see if i could find a way to "install" that thing again, but i couldnt find a solution.. so if someone could tell me what component(s) i shouldnt remove when i want to use compatibility mode? i need that mode for couple of programs i use, they run faster when i use them in 98/ME mode.

thanx in advance.

Try to keep 16bit support and Application compatibility patch.

I'm saying try because at the moment I can't think of any other related component.

Let me know if it works as this can be a good option in the Compatibility window.

• 5 months later...
Try to keep 16bit support and Application compatibility patch.

I'm saying try because at the moment I can't think of any other related component.

Let me know if it works as this can be a good option in the Compatibility window.

I also "lost" the program compatibility tab on exe file properties.

I am running Server 2003 SP2 RC full version on my main machine and its

there (its there on XP SP2 and Server 2003 SP2 only I think) but on one

I am testing in VMware (stripped down Server 2003) in nLite I kept 16-Bit support

and removed the "Application Compatibility Patch" and indeed it has removed the

tab altogether on the file properties for exe files, so Nuhi its not because of 16-Bit

support... it must be the "Application Compatibility Patch"..... I will post back and

let you know if keeping that "Application Compatibility Patch" has kept the tab.

Its needed because now on Server 2003 SP2 you can install WMP11 WITHOUT

all the messing about with INF files - all you do is extract the WMP11 file from M$

and change the compatibility of the 2 files wmfdist11.exe and wmp11.exe

and it will work :D

Now I wonder if theres some way of setting it in the registry to run those 2 files in

compatibility mode so you don't even have to right click them :sneaky:

EDIT: Yes the only reason the "Compatibility" tab is missing is because the

"Application Compatibility Patch" is removed, keep that one component and

the tab stays there.

Edited by LeveL

• 1 year later...
Depends on what you removed.

Don´t know, if it´s working for XP as well (it´s working on W2K) :

Grab your original CD if you removed the support folder and run :

regsvr32 Driveletter:\Winnt\AppPatch\SLayerui.dll

Agi

I removed the "Application Compatibility Patch" with nLite (see LeveL's post above).

Didn´t know if you removed the 16Bit and the support folder.

I´m not using XP, so I don´t know if nlite prevented appatch to be copied or just didn´t let it be registered.

If it just wasn´t registered, you should find it somewhere on your HDD and run the command I posted.

If not, you have to find it on the CD, copy it to the apropriate path and register it manually.

The depend.exe (also in support folder) is sometimes a pretty good helper for such dependencies.

Agi

I´m not using XP, so I don´t know if nlite prevented appatch to be copied or just didn´t let it be registered.

If it just wasn´t registered, you should find it somewhere on your HDD and run the command I posted.

If not, you have to find it on the CD, copy it to the apropriate path and register it manually.

The depend.exe (also in support folder) is sometimes a pretty good helper for such dependencies.

Agi

Actually I had 16-bit and application compatibility removed, but I re-installed 16-bit support using an inf installer in this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/Restore-16-bit-support-t46536.html

So I have 16-bit working, but no compatibility tab. I'll try your idea when I get home tonight, thanks.

• 3 months later...

Agi

Actually I had 16-bit and application compatibility removed, but I re-installed 16-bit support using an inf installer in this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/Restore-16-bit-support-t46536.html

So I have 16-bit working, but no compatibility tab. I'll try your idea when I get home tonight, thanks.

Hi, Sorry to bother u guys...

is there any solution to this compatibility tab problem?? I accidently delete the App Comatibility Patch option.......... and I don't want to reinstall the whole OS...

Thanks...

Hi,

I tried that with inf installer but didn't work. There are some files which it can find and complains about the cd label :realmad:

So, I loaded the preset which I used on nLite to check if the "16-bit support" and "Application Compatibility Patch" were removed or not. Well, both were there. I didn't removed by mistake.

So what it could? I just noted that problem when I tried to install an app (LEC translator 9) and it complains about the 16-bit support and some missing files. However, it install and I can use the application. But maybe some day it can cause a bigger problem...

Other curious thing is the compatibility tab which I have there. It was not removed.

Maybe this message error during the install was caused by another thing... ? :wacko: